The Second World War in Northern Ireland

The Second World War in Northern Ireland

County Londonderry Part 2

Three U.S. Marines Killed in Drowning Accident.

(Thanks very much to Seamus Breslin)

Able Seamen Arthur William Beales from Londonderry

Able Seamen Arthur William Beales was originally from London however he married a Derry Girl and resided in the Creggan until his passing in recent years.
Arthur had extensive service with the Royal Navy as can be seen by his medals.
The Atlantic Star, The North Africa Star and the Arctic Star as well as the 1939-1945 Star and War Medal.
There are also two Russian Medals which were awarded for the Arctic Convoys. (Thanks very much to Seamus Breslin)

Joseph Furey from Derry.

PRIVATE JOSEPH FUREY, Service Number: H/6384, was serving with Winnipeg Grenadiers, R.C.I.C.
He is recorded as having died on 1st January 1944 when he was 22 years old.
Joseph was Son of James and Kate Furey, of Carberry, Manitoba, Canada. He had four brothers being John, James, Patrick and Michael.
James was a Prisoner of War in Hong Kong and Patrick was killed serving in Italy in 1943.
His oldest brother John was in Belfast in May 1944 and his sisters and parents were living at Sidney, Manitoba.
He is Commemorated at YOKOHAMA WAR CEMETERY
Any further information would be very much appreciated.
(Thanks very much to Conor Cassidy, Seamus Breslin and Christopher Golly Gallagher)

Luftwaffe Photograph of Londonderry

This aerial photograph of Londonderry was taken by a German Luftwaffe aircraft.

They have then been able to identify Anti-Aircraft Gun Positions, Barrage Balloons and Military Barracks as well as shipping. (I.W.M. Photograph)

This photograph shows one of the Barrage Balloons which were positioned around the City of Londonderry.

There would be a winch in the back of the vehicle. (Londerry Sentinal Photograph)

Heavy Anti-Aircraft Gun Position, Tamnymore, Londonderry

This poor quality photograph shows the Heavy Anti-Aircraft battery which was positioned at Tamnymore on the Waterside in Londonderry (PRONI)

Londonderry Prepares for War

Civil Defence from B2 Wardens Post, Londonderry. (From Michael Burns. Derry of the Past Facebook page)

Adults are seen trying their Gas Masks with Children being evacuated on the right. (Derry Journal Photographs)

Sergeant David Peoples from Londonderry.

Davy was a professional Soldier who joined the Army in the mid 1930's and served with the Royal Ulster Rifles throught the Second World War.

His medals include North West Frontier Service Medal, 1939 - 1945 Star, Italy Star, Defence Medal and Victory Medal.
Centre bottom is the Dunkirk Medal with an American Medal which shows the Bay of Naples. (Thanks very much to Nigel Richmond)

Able Seaman Donald Campbell Stewart from Londonderry

Donald Stewart from Londonderry Died in Osaka P.O.W. Camp.

Able Seaman Donald Campbell Stewart, Service Number D/JX 146752, from Beechwood Avenue, Londonderry was serving with the Royal Navy which he had joined on leaving school.

Donald was serving aboard H.M.S. Thracian which was a Destroyer that had been laid down in 1918.
It was attached to Hong Kong Base and was deliberately ran aground and scuttled on 25 December 1941 at Aberdeen, Hong Kong as Hong Kong fell to the Japanese.

Able Seaman Stewart became a Prisoner of War and died in captivity at Osaka, Japan on 7th May 1944.
He was 23 years old and the Son of John and Elisabeth Stewart. of Londonderry.
Donald is buried in Yokohama War Cemetery, Japan.
(Thanks very much to James Stewart)

Ballyarnett Gibraltarian Evacuee Camp

A few buildings remain from the old Gibraltarian Evacuee Camp which stood in Ballyarnett at the junction of Beragh Hill Road and Lenamore Road.

My photograph above shows what I believe was a Water Treatment Building.

On going inside it appears that the roof has been changed from the original

These two old photographs show part of the Camp as it used to look (Thanks very much to Irwin Elkin)

Interesting to see the neat pattern in the small wall shown here as well as what appears to have been bricks placed on their sides, perhaps around a small garden?

Culmore Heavy Anti-Aircraft Gun Battery, Londonderry

Situated on Coney Road between Culmore and the border with the Republic of Ireland stands this Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery. As with the Groarty Road example shown below this site includes a Radar Platform however I have not seen anything like the design of this platform anywhere else.

The Radar Platform along with 4 columns on one side as well as the platform incorporating a Pillbox type structure with one loop.

The following two pictures show a view of the top of the structure where the radar would be positioned as well as the access point to the incorporated pillbox type structure.

In the panorama type picture above you are looking from the 4 Gun Pits along the access road past the Command and Control Centre towards the hardened accommodation building which, as usual, is closest to the roadway.

On this site the four Gun Positions are all very overgrown however the C&C Building is in good condition and as I have already mentioned the Radar Platform appears to be unique within all of the HAA sites I have visited.

U.S. Army Camp - Culmore

This was a United States Army Camp on the opposite shore from Lisahally Jetty on Lough Foyle.

The distinctive water tanks remain with only a couple of buildings.

Groarty Road Heavy Anti-Aircraft Gun Battery, Londonderry

On entering the field where the Battery is located you first see the hardened accommodation building (Shown below) which has blast walls covering both entrances.

There are a total of 4 Gun Emplacements with the Command Post facing the gun positions.

Shown here is the roof of the Command Post 

Directional markings as well as "Fire Point" and even the old disruptive camouflage paint can still be clearly seen.

On the left is a view through the Command Post and on the right is looking towards one of the Gun Positions.

This is the Radar Platform that is in the adjoining field and which is in super condition and below is a photograph of the Radar System which would sit on the platform.

City Cemetery, Londonderry

There are two gaps in the row of headstones shown above. These were Norwegian Sailors who were repatriated to Norway after the war.

The two men are shown above. (Thanks very much to Seamus Breslin)

The H.M.S. Curacoa Sinking and her Sailors buried in Londonderry

The liner Queen Mary was used as a Troop Transport during the Second World War.

On 2nd October 1942 the ship was carrying approximately 20,000 American Soldiers and had safely crossed most of the Atlantic Ocean from New York. As she was approaching the north of Ireland she was to be joined by Royal Navy Light Cruiser H.M.S. Curacoa for the purpose of providing Anti-Aircraft Protection on the final leg of the journey to Greenock.

Throughout the journey Queen Mary had been Zig-Zagging as a preventative measure against U-Boat attack and this continued as H.M.S. Curacoa joined her.

As with the Queen Mary, H.M.S. Curacoa was also Zig-zagging and tragically both ships were soon on a collision course which resulted in Queen Mary cutting the Light Cruiser in half.

Even though it was obvious to those on board the liner that a serious accident had taken place and that there was an urgent need for rescue to take place the Queen Mary complied with the instructions of the time and did not stop but continued her journey.

Curacoa was in flames and sunk within 6 minutes with the loss of  338 men from a total Crew of  439. (Curacoa is shown in Public Demain picture above)

Leading Stoker Frank David Bowles, Service Number C/KX106929, Aged 22, Son of Arthur and Ellen Kate Bowles, of Earlcesfield, London.

Petty Officer Patrick O. Glacken, Service Number C/SSX 21956, Aged 22, Son of Mrs. J. Glacken; husband of Gladys Muriel Glacken, of Westhoughton, Lancashire.

Able Seaman Phillip L. HoltbyService Number C/HD/X 7, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Petty Officer Stoker William Henry Hunt, Service Number C/K63830, Son of Albert William and Edith Hunt; husband of Hilda Francis Hunt, of Hanwell, Middlesex.

Ordinary Seaman Harold Frank Beeby, Service Number C/JX 317626, Aged 19, Royal Navy

Son of George James Beeby and Clara Beeby, of Hucknall, Nottinghamshire.

This photograph shows Queen Mary painted in a grey / white colour scheme for war service. The picture was taken in Greenock on 28th September 1944. (The photograph and information are from the excellent website)

ORDINARY SEAMAN STANLEY CLAUDE LANE, Service Number: P/JX 321114, was serving aboard H.M.S. Curacoa and died on 2nd October 1942.
Son of Frederick and Hannah Lane, of Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent he is named on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial Panel 65, Column 3. 
Stanley Claude Lane is on the right of the photograph below. (Thanks very much to Stan Dudley)

(Thanks very much to Stan Dudley)

H.M.S. Broadwater Sinking

H.M.S. Broadwater was with Convoy SC48 for escort during passage to a Mid Atlantic Meeting Point when, during the early hours of 18 Oct 1941, Uboat U-101  fired four torpedoes at HMS Broadwater which was positioned astern of convoy at 04.20 hours. The ship was struck on the starboard side forward of the bridge and lost its complete bow!

Other ships attempted to rescue the Broadwater crew and some of them remained on board believing that the ship could be saved. 

At daylight a crack became visible on the deck abaft the fourth funnel confirming that the back had been broken and the ship was beyond salvage. 

HMS Angle rescued 60 survivors and transferred seven of them, including the commander and chief engineer, to HMS Cape Warwick which had picked up 28 men and at 14.20 hours they both left to land the survivors at Londonderry but en route one officer and two ratings died of wounds. 

HMS St. Apollo stood by the abandoned wreck of HMS Broadwater until she sank by the bow with a slight starboard list at 15.41 hours.

(Information and picture from

Signalman John ByromService Number D/SSX33022, Aged 19, Son of William and Lily Byrom, of Golborne, Lancashire.

Lieutenant Richard John SampsonAged 32, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, Son of Mr. and Mrs. G. Sampson, of Slough, Buckinghamshire.

Ordinary Signalman Llewellyn SandreyService Number D/SSX 33876

H.M.S. Broadwater is shown below.

H.M.S. Whitaker Attack

H.M.S. Whitaker was attacked by U-Boat U-483 on 1 November 1944 when she was north of Malin Head

Damage control measures brought the fires under control by 0320 hours but not before the ship had lost much of her bow and suffered 79 dead of which the following can be found in Londonderry City Cemetery.

The first hearstone is for an unidentified Crew Member.

Lieutenant Laughlin John MaclachlinAged 25, Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve, Son of Allan MacLachlan, and of Gertrude E. MacLachlan, of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

Damage to H.M.S. Whitaker is shown in the photograph above (From Navsource)

H.M.S. Ferret - The Naval Shore Establishment in Londinderry

Stoker 1st Class Herbert C.A. Hounsell, Service Number D/K 18449, was 54 years old when he died on 25th July 1942.

Herbert was the Husband of Gladys Mary Claude Hounsell, of Plymouth.

Commander James Richard Maitland-Makgill-Crichton died on 1st december 1943 when he was 58 years old.
He was the Son of Andrew Coventry Maitland-Makgill-Crichton and Katherine Charlotte Maitland-Makgill-Crichton.

Petty Officer Writer Russell Lorne McLaughlin, Service Number V/34407, was 23 years old when he died on 19th May 1945.

He was serving with Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve.

Russell was the Son of Alfred Russell McLaughlin and Vivian Louella McLaughlin and Husband of Flora Cameron McLaughlin, of Paisley, Renfrewshire.

Stoker Michael Edward Warren, Service Number LT/KX 109951, died on 22nd December 1945 when he was 52 years old.
Michael was serving with Royal Naval Patrol Service.

He was the Son of John and Mary Warren and Husband of Mary Agnes Warren, of Smethwick, Staffordshire.

Some Other Armed Forces Personel Buried in Londonderry

Corporal Charles Gallagher, Service Number 6979832, was serving with 2nd Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers when he died on 13th November 1945.

Fusilier Charles William RuffellService Number 6980547, Died 30/04/1941 when he was 18 years old. He was serving with 2nd Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

Charles was the Son of Charles William and Grace Ruffell, of Londonderry.

Serjeant Henry FrielService Number 6977768, was serving with the Royal Irish Fusiliers when he died on 12th March 1941.

Corporal Matthew SimmsService Number 6977189, Died on 11 th September 1940 when serving with Royal Irish Fusiliers.

Sapper Arthur MorrisonService Number 2197715, was serving with the Royal Engineers and 34 years old when he died on 28th February 1945.

Arthur was the Son of Arthur and Mary A. Morrison, of Londonderry and Husband of Martha Morrison, of Londonderry.

Private Reginald Taylor, Service Number 4387696, died on 15th May 1941 when he was 27 years old.
He was serving with 1st Battalion Green Howards (Yorkshire Regiment)

Reginald was the Son of William and Catherine Taylor, of Brompton-on-Swale, Yorkshire.

Londonderry Men killed in London V Bomb Attack

George Carl Otto Von Scheffler was born in 1884.

He was appointed a Page to the Grand Duke of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenbach and later Governor of the Royal pages at the Emperor's Court in Berlin, where he was honoured with the title of Baron.
He inherited Prehen from his Grandfather on condition that he included the Knox name in his own Surname and that be became a British Citizen. 

With the outbreak of the First World War the then Baron Von Scheffler-Knox was declared an enemy alien and Prehen House along with its Land was seized by the government and later placed on the open market under the Enemy Property Act.

The photograph here shows the Barons ashes being taken to the Family Plot in the City Cemetery in 1966. His Son, who served with the German Armed Forces during the Second World War was later buried in the same Family vault (Thanks very much to Seamus Brealin)

The Knox Vault. The wording on the brick says "W. Hancock & Co"

Londonderry Brothers Killed in Action.

Sergeant Air Gunner David Hetherington, Service Number 1880052, was serving with 106 Squadron, Royal Air Force.

He was Rear Gunner aboard Avro Lancaster JB664, ZN-M which took off with fifteen other aircraft from R.A.F. Metheringham on the night of 27th June 1944. They joined with a total force of 103 Lancaster Bombers who were on a mission to attack enemy lines of communication at Vitry-le-Francois which lies southeast of Reims.

In the early hours of 28th June two aircraft from the Group were hit by enemy fire with one of these being JB664.

The aircraft crashed into a field in the Seine-et-Marine area east of Paris with the loss of all on board.

Sergeant David Hetherington was buried with the rest of the Crew at Bransles which is west of Sens. - He is shown below with the rest of the Aircraft Crew 

(Thanks very much to Davie Hetherington) *****PLEASE DO NOT COPY*****

Sergeant William James Hetherington, Number 546224 was 24 years old and serving with 60 Squadron, Royal Air Force when he was killed.

He is remembered at Kirkee War Cemetery, Southeast of Mumbai, India.

The Sons of William James and Elizabeth Hetherington from Londonderry. William Snr had served during the First World War and joined the Ulster Home Guard during the Second World War. He is shown in First World War uniform as well as his Ulster Home Guard Identity Card below. (Thanks to Davey Hetherington) ***DO NOT COPY***

U.S. Military Camp - Springtown

The creation of what was to become known as Springtown Camp began on 30th of June 1941.

362 technicians and 25 supervisory officers from the US Navy's Engineer Corps arrived to commence construction.

The project was rather sensitive as this was happening before the United States entered the war following the raid by Japanese on the Naval Base at Pearl Harbour on 7th December 1941.  (This photograph is available to EVERYONE at

The area has changed considerably since the Second World War and although the camp was put to use as housing following the departure of the American Forces I am unaware of any of the old structures which remain to be seen. - The 2 pictures here show Bob Hope signing autographs at Springtown in 1943 and Torpedo man Leo "Moose" Sangiolo and his mate at Springtown.


The top picture gives some indication as to the size of Springtown Camp. Pennyburn Chapel can be seen in the background.

Above is the Commissioning of Springtown Camp on 5th February 1943. The United States Marine is Captain Donald Kennedy ( After the Battle Magazine)

The Stuart Lee Rice Photographic Collection of Springrown Camp

This is Stuart Lee Rice who was from Elgin, Illinois and served with the United States Naval Reserve from 1942 until 1946 and was based at Springtown, Londonderry between April 1943 and October 1944.

The Galley and a "Chow Line" in May 1944 

Some of the Naval Personnel from Hut 214 and a picture from inside the hut.

Robert "Bob" Reiss in front of Hut 214 and an interesting form of transport.

The same location before and after some improvements had been made.

My sincere thanks to Ron Rice for sharing the above photos and story of his Dad, Stuart Lee Rice (1920 - 1968) who served with many other U.S. Naval Personnel at Springtown in Londonderry.

Dennis Kolodziej Photographs showing general Living Conditions at Springhill Camp (Thanks very much to Dennis Kolodziej and "Derry of the Past" for these pictures)

Base Officer at Springhill is shown on the left with Joe White standing with a Marine Base Guard on the right.

Group Photograph showing Electricians Riggers above with Old Glory flying below along with some men with at their Accommodation Hut.

Group photograph of Radio Operators.  (Thanks very much to Dennis Kolodziej and "Derry of the Past" for these pictures)

U.S. Marine Frederick Strybing is shown here at the Main Entrance to Springtown Camp. The pictures on the right show American Servicemen playing Football at Springtown Camp and a train passing the Springtown Camp. (From the excellent website)

The photographs above are from Storekeeper Second Class Jack Johnston (

Eleanor Roosevelt at Springtown House on Remembrance Day, 11th November 1942. (Picture from Londonderry Sentinel)

Secretary Knox and Admiral Harold R. Stark leaving the Chapel at Springtown in September 1943 when on an Inspection Trip

Don Donovan of New York City plays his guitar with R Dumas (I wonder if this is a false name he has given the Reporter) of Haverhill, Mass, Anthony Caballo of Brooklyn, New York and Bill O'Hare of Dorchester, Mass. Singing in their hut on 10th July 1942. (Acme Newspictures on Ebay)

Bob Hope with Frances Langford at Springtown

The American Comedian Bob Hope with Frances Langford in Londonderry with the United States Marine Corps and United States Navy in 1943.

The photograph above shows Bob signing autographs at Springtown Camp.

(Photographs from the Derry Journal and

The United States Forces have always put considerable effort into having various Entertainers visiting Armed Forces Personel during various Wars. Bob Hope is shown on the right. He is on stage and by the look of the faces in the background he is getting a few laughs.

The photograph above shows two U.S. Marines with a local Farmer beside their base in Londonderry. 

United States Marines Bagpipe, Drum and Bugle Corps at Springtown

Shown above are Fourteen photographs showing the U.S. Marines Bagpipe, Drum and Bugle Corps at Springhill. (From Life Magazine)

(Many thanks to Arthur McIlwaine for the Article shown above)

Death of Senior U.S. Naval Officer

(Thanks very much to Seamus Breslin for article above)

Springtown Camp Memorial

Bombing Decoy Site - Corrody

This is a Bombing Decoy Site. From the pictures you can see that the mounds of earth which would have both camouflaged and protected the building have been removed however the inside is without doubt the best that i have found.

On entering the building the Electricity Generator Room is to the right. I was surprised to find the concrete bases for two rather than the more common one generator.

The room to the left retains its metal ladders up to the roof escape hatch as well as the small area where a fire / stove would have probably been in regular use!!


The “Uberus” was requisitioned by the Admiralty in 1939 and subsequently armed. It is recorded as having been wrecked in Lough Foyle on 11th January 1941.

Fleet Tug H.M.S. Assurance was fitted out for ocean service and was used by the Royal Navy to tow vessels which had been damaged in German Torpedo attacks. H.M.S. Assurance was wrecked on 18th October 1941 and still lies on Bluick Rock north of Greencastle, Co. Donegal.

Middlesex Regiment ready for Action

Here is a Vickers Machine-Gun Team of soldiers from 2/8th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment photographed on 15th July 1941 (I.W.M. Photograph)

Training at Castlerock

5th Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry in an Exercise at Castlerock on 14 July 1941. Coming ashore is just the start - Then you have to climb the rocks! 

The fantastic second photograph has been colourised by Paul Reynolds. (Imperial War Museum pictures)

U.S. Army in Castlerock

I believe that the building in these photographs was used by 3rd Battalion, 133rd Infantry Regiment, 34th Infantry Division, United States Army.

The second photograph looks towards where Nissen Huts had been constructed.

Belgian Soldiers training with Mortars near Castlerock

Two photographs of Belgian Soldiers training in the use of Mortars.

(Many thanks to - For more information please visit this excellent website)

Castlerock Battle of Britain Ace.

Francis Victor Beamish was born at Dunmanway, County Cork in the Irish Republic on 27th September 1903 before his family moved to Northern Ireland.

He attended the Coleraine Academical Institute and then entered the RAF College, Cranwell as a Flight Cadet on 14th September 1921.
Having graduated in August 1923 he went to 4 (Army Co-operation) Squadron at Farnborough on 18th September.

In 1933 he went into hospital at Uxbridge, suffering from tuberculosis and had to retire from the RAF on 18th October 1933.

On 18th May 1936 he became civilian adjutant at RAF Aldergrove.
This was a non-flying appointment in the Air Force Reserve however Beamish was sufficiently recovered to be reinstated with full flying status as a Flight Lieutenant on 27th January 1937 and was posted to Command 2 Armament Training Camp and Met Flight at Aldergrove.

His comeback was complete when he was given command of 64 Squadron at Church Fenton on 8th December 1937. He was awarded the AFC for establishing the Met Flight.

He took over RAF North Weald on 7th June 1940 and flew operational sorties with his station squadrons whenever he could.

On 18th June he claimed two Me109’s destroyed.
On 9th July a Me110 damaged
On the 12th a Do17 shot down
On 18th August a probable Ju88
On the 24th a Do17 damaged
On the 30th two probable Me110’s.
On 6th September two Ju87’s
On the 11th a probable He111
On the 15th a share in a He111
On the 18th and 27th probable Me109’s.
He damaged a Me109 on 12th October, probably destroyed one and damaged another on the 25th and probably shot down another on the 30th.

Beamish was awarded the DSO (gazetted 23rd July 1940) and the DFC (gazetted 8th November 1940).

On 7th November 1940 Beamish collided with Pilot Officer TF Neil of 249 Squadron whilst on patrol and made a forced-landing at Leeds Castle in Kent.
In all his sorties in 1940, he was damaged by enemy action three times, on each occasion getting his aircraft down safely.

On 11th November 1940, Italian aircraft based in Belgium attempted a raid and Beamish claimed a probable CR42 biplane fighter.
Two days later he damaged a Me109 near Dover.
On 10th January 1941 he shot down a Me109 over the Channel.

Beamish was posted to HQ 11 Group on 17th March 1941. He was back in action later that year and claimed a probable Me109 near Mardyck on 9th August 1941.

He was awarded a Bar to the DSO.

On 25th January 1942 Beamish went to RAF Kenley to take command and again flew with his squadrons.
With W/Cdr. RF Boyd he took off on the morning of 12th February 'to see what was happening on the other side'.
After chasing two Me109’s, they saw part of the German Fleet making its 'Channel Dash'. The ships had been reported ten minutes earlier by two pilots of 91 Squadron but the news was received with complete disbelief at 11 Group. Beamish's confirmation was enough to set in motion a series of uncoordinated attacks on the German fleet.

On 13th February Beamish had a share in the destruction of a He115 over the Channel.
On 9th March he claimed a Fw190 destroyed and another on the 26th, as well as a Me109.
Leading the Kenley Wing and flying with 485 (NZ) Squadron on 28th March, Beamish saw a force of Me109’s and Fw190’s a few miles south of Calais.
He turned the Wing towards them. In the ensuing engagement Beamish was seen to be attacked and damaged by a Me109. He requested a vector over the radio and was last seen entering a cloud near Calais.
It is presumed that he crashed into the Channel, possibly wounded and perhaps unconscious. He was 38 years old.

Victor Beamish was one of a small band of near-legendary figures in the RAF. He was photographed by Cecil Beaton and had his portrait made by Cuthbert Orde.
(Information and pictures from The battle of Britain London Monument)

Having posted the above I received a message about a Sundial which had went missing from the school when the Beamish brothers had been pupils.

This was finally discovered about the year 2000 in thick undergrowth at the house on Carthall Road when the owner died.

It is thought the brothers "kidnapped" the sundial as a schoolboy prank and it is now positioned at the front of the school in what was the headmaster's garden.

An extension to the school was opened by Air Vice Marshall Sir George Beamish, Victor's brother.

The Beamish family also lived for a time in the old rectory of Kildollagh church, Loughan village outside Coleraine and there is a memorial to him inside the church.
(Thanks very much to Brian Holmes for the photographs and information)

Fincarn Glen Ammunition Storage Dump

A short distance from Drumahoe and in close proximity to both the airfields at Maydown and Eglinton as well as Lisahally (Lisahawley) Port is the huge Fincarn Glen Ammunition Storage Dump.

This facility was constructed by American Military Personel with the assistance of a considerable amount of local labour and was completed by May 1942.

The American influence on this site is everywhere to be seen as illustrated here. - The metal lid photographed clearly shows that it was manufactured in Los Angeles!

The metal used in construction of the buildings says "Armco Ingot Iron Manufactured by The American Rolling Mill Co Middletown, Ohio 2oz Coating"

When you consider the large loss of life and shipping when crossing the Atlantic I would always have thought that this was because they were transporting vital supplies of ammunition, military equipment and Service Personnel and so there was no option however my photograph here shows a Gully cover which is marked as having been manufactured in Los Angeles! - Could this not have been obtained in Northern Ireland? I sincerely hope that men were not lost for such a cargo.

The Aerial picture here shows Fincairn Glen with a number of the Bunkers clearly visible although there is much more to see when inside the Glen itself. (Bing Maps)

Bunker being used an Air Raid Shelter for injured personnel. 

(This picture is from and is available to EVERYONE.)

This Bunker in Fincairn Glen is very similar to the Shelter in the photograph above.

The square yellow marking is the old British Hazard Sign system which has since been replaced by the orange coloured signs which can now be seen on everything from a box of explosives to the lorry delivering your heating oil!

In this case the number three in a black triangle refers to "Mass Fire with Minor Fragment Hazard"

This picture shows a clearer view of one of the Hazard Signs and illustrates some of the fire fighting procedures which were in place with the hooks for Fire Buckets and the sign referring to Stirrup Pumps which are now long gone.

Some buildings have a number of signs including the "Group Explosive" which may refer to a particular type of explosive stored there. Each has a group of letters and numbers above the door and in the third picture above it appears that repairs may also have taken place from the  "Serviceable" notice on a wall.

Due to the fact that this facility is heavily overgrown it is difficult to know the precise number of bunkers which exist however I believe there to be around 20.

These are markings on the inside of the Bunkers.

It is difficult to read however in the picture on the left the top line begins "Group..." and the second is "150" with something following which may end in "Lbs" however time has taken its toll.

This wording on the right relates to a Construction Company from Gulfport, Mississippi.

Men of C Company, 1st Provisional Marine Battalion, United States Marine Corps, who were based nearby at Beech Hill were some of the first personnel to perform guard duty at the site.

I believe this site was also a Chemical Depot known as C-910 and operated as this between 23rd November 1943 and 15th August 1944.

This amazing place is a little piece of the United States in County Londonderry.

I hope you can see the Cartoon which has been drawn of a man's head in the picture on the left.

"Armco Ingot Iron. Manufactured by The American Rolling Mill Company, Middletown, Ohio."

The door shown here is the original door to a generator Building on the site.

There are a number of interesting structures around the Fincairn Glen Complex. Above is a Nissen Hut 

Shown above is inside one of the Bunkers - Various old bottles, cups etc are lying along the shelf.

The entrances to some of the Bunkers are almost overgrown. - Another one is shown below.

The structure in this last photograph had me rather confused until the Imperial War Museum Photograph below identified it as an Air Raid Shelter. - This Shelter is being constructed at Creevagh Military Hospital on 29th January 1942. In both cases the Shelter is seen without its covering of earth (IWM Photograph)

Drawings at Fincairn Glen

Shown here are some drawings which were left on the walls of some of the bunkers.

Above left is Adolf Hitler and what appears to be Churchill is above right.

Another character is shown here along with a "V" for Victory above.

All these illustrations are on the Armco Ingot Iron walls of Bunkers within the Fincairn Glen complex.

(Thanks very much to Peter Graham for providing me with these photographs)

Fincairn Glen Anti Aircraft Gun Position

At the top of the Glen is the Anti Aircraft Gun Position shown here.

It is Octagonal shape incorporating 2 Lockers which would have held Ammunition.

The Donaghy Family from Drumahoe.

(Thanks very much to Britishnewspaperarchive and Seamus Breslin)

Warbleshinney Gibraltarian Evacuee Camp

To the south of the City of Londonderry between the villages of Drumahoe and New Buildings can be found one of the Evacuee Camps which were constructed to house people who had fled Gibraltar during the War.

There are 5 buildings which are easily located and of searching through a small wooded area there are a few smaller structures.

The cube shaped concrete building here is a Cold Store and you can see hooks hanging from the roof from which food would be suspended.

One of the more concealed buildings has clearly been used for living quarters and a 1930's style fireplace remains along with some bright wallpaper, blue painted walls and a yellow door!

Bombing Decoy Site Lisglass

I believe there was a Bombing Decoy Site such as the one shown below at Lisglass Southwest of New Buildings. Unfortunately I have no other details.

If you have information regarding this please email me.


Bellarena House at Seacoast Road between Coleraine and Limavady was used as a billet for 118 Infantry Regiment 1 Battalion, Company A of the United States Army.

151st Field Artillery Battalion, 34th Infantry Division U.S. Army were here in 1942 and Nissen Huts were constructed in the grounds of the estate.

General George C. Marshall, Chief of Staff, U.S. Army, addresses officers on his trip to Northern Ireland. 

Press conference with war correspondents. L to R General George C. Marshall, Chief of Staff, U.S. Army; Robert Nixon, INS; Rice Yahner, AP.

(From which is available to EVERYONE)

General George C. Marshall, Chief of Staff, U.S. Army; Lt. General H. E. Franklyn, General Officer Commanding Northern Ireland British Forces; Mr. J. H. Andrews, Prime Minister of Northern Ireland; Mr. W. Averill Harriman, President Roosevelt’s personal envoy to Britain; Major General James E. Chaney United States Army Forces in the British Isles (USAFBI); and Major General R. P. Hartle, United States Army Northern Ireland Forces (USANIF), during their inspection tour of Northern Ireland. 

"Mr. Harry Hopkins, lend-lease administrator in Britain, addresses Officers during his visit to Northern Ireland."

Harry Hopkins was President Roosevelt’s personal representative in London. His reports to Roosevelt played a key role in the debate over the president’s ‘Lend-Lease’ bill to aid Britain by providing it (and eventually several other Allied nations) with weapons and supplies without requiring payment upfront. Hopkins spearheaded the rapid passage of the Lend-Lease Bill, first by the House of Representatives, on February 8, 1941, and then by the Senate a month later. Roosevelt appointed Hopkins to administer the Lend-Lease Program, with the vague authority to “advise and assist me in carrying out the responsibilities placed upon me” by the passage of the bill.

(Above from Available to EVERYONE)

Some other evidence remains of the use of this location during the Second World War such as the Air Raid Shelter and Building shown here.

Ulster Home Guard at Bellarena

Christchurch, Limavady

These headstones can be seen in the Christchurch Church in the town centre of Limavady.

On visiting this churchyard I strongly suggest you walk towards the back of the modern Hall where I am sure you will be both surprised and impressed by the memorial you will find. - It is a Tail Fin from an Avro Shackleton MR Mk3 which was recovered from the former R.A.F. Ballykelly and refurbished at R.A.F. Aldergrove.

This memorial is dedicated to all those who served at R.A.F. Ballykelly, R.A.F. Eglinton, R.A.F. Limavady and R.A.F. Maydown and all associated Units throughout World War 2 and the subsequent Cold War period and commemorates those who made the supreme sacrifice. 

John Gouinlock Anderson and Frederick Dick Butland died on 13th July 1943 when the Wellington aircraft, HF838, they were flying crashed at Dickeys Glen, Curley Burn, Bolea.

They had been with 7 Operational Training Unit at Aghanloo Airfield, Limavady and three other Airmen were also killed in this crash. -One, John William Hughes of the Royal New Zealand Air Force is buried in St Mary's Cemetery in Limavady while the other two were Englishmen who were returned to their local Churches for Burial.

Sergeant Anderson died on 5th May 1943 when Wellington Bomber LB241 in which he was a Crew member crashed shortly after take-off in Drenagh Estate.

***See County Londonderry Part 4 for more information about Drenagh Estate***

Sergeant Colin Bruce Berger was on board Wellington HX430 on a Night Training Flight at approximately 9.15pm on 31st January 1943.

The Pilot of the aircraft, Bernard Edwin Samuels (See Carnmoney Jewish Cemetery in Belfast Part 5 Section of this website) appears to have lost control of the Wellington while on final approach to the runway and at a height of approximately 100 feet.

The aircraft rose sharply and then crashed into the ground killing all on board. 

Sergeant Vernon James Pither and Pilot Officer Wilson Twentyman were killed on 20th July 1942 when their Wellington Bomber DV772 crashed near The Giants Causeway during a Training Flight.

***Please visit County Antrim Part 2 Section to see Memorial at Crash Site***

Sergeant Henry Lewis Baker was serving as a Wireless Operator / Air Gunner with the Royal Air Force when he died on 12th August 1942.

Squadron Leader Henry Roy Birtill was serving with the Royal Air Force and was 40 years old when he died on 20th April 1945.

Warrant Officer Eric George Clarke was serving with Royal Australian Air Force and was flying in Avro Anson N5372 during a Navigation Exercise.

On the 18th October 1943, Anson N5372 took off at approx 1940 hours to carry out a night non-operational navigation B3 exercise. The aircraft crashed at 2115 hours in
Ballycastle, County Antrim, North Ireland. Two of the crew were killed and two injured. The Pilot who survived the crash, later stated ; “On the last leg of the exercise, the
aircraft was flying at 2,400 feet. It was however eleven miles to the starboard of track, a fact not known to the crew. I decided to descend to 2,000 feet to avoid another aircraft.
We approached Knocklayde from the downwind side of the mountain, and the wind was150 degrees at 35/40 kms per hour. There would have been an extensively strong down
draft as we approached the mountainside. After the aircraft struck Knocklayde, SOS procedures were carried out and preparations were made for a ditching.”
RAF FO Cooper, J G Captain (Pilot) Injured, Polish Wg Cdr Heiler, W R (1st Navigator Pupil) Killed, RAF Flt Lt Dunn, J K (2nd Navigator Pupil) Injured
RAAF 404206 WO E G Clarke, (Staff Wireless Air Gunner) Killed (Information from ww2talk forum regarding R.A.A.F. Deaths in Northern Ireland.)

Flying Officer Stanley David Gaudin was a Pilot with 172 Squadron Royal Canadian Air Force and was killed when Wellington HF450 was on an operational flight over the Atlantic and were unable to return to base due to weather conditions as well as some engine difficulties which are explained below. (Both information and photograph of Flying Officer Stanley David Gaudin are from website)

Sergeant Ronald William Gutteridge was a Wireless Operator / Air Gunner aboard Wellington HX737 which was being operated from Limavady Airfield by Number 7 Operational Training Unit. The aircraft crashed in Neutral Republic of Ireland on 28th February 1943 with the loss of all 6 Crew Members whose bodies were returned to the United Kingdom.

Sergeant Harold Joseph Byron Harrison was a Wireless Operator / Air Gunner serving with the Royal Air Force when he died on 9th October 1942.

Lance Bombardier Harry Jackson was serving with 423 Battery, 126 Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery when he died on 6th June 1942.

Pilot Officer Ronald Hepburn Matthews was serving with 407 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force when he died on 15th February 1944.

Corporal John George Richardson was serving with 281 Squadron, Royal Air Force who were based at Limavady.

Sergeant Robert Arthur Felix Turnbull was a Wireless Operator / Air Gunner serving with the Royal Air Force when he died on 2nd January 1943.

Pilot Officer George Victor Weeks was serving with the Royal Aistralian Air Force.

On 14th November 1944 he was in Wellington HF396 of 172 Squadron on a patrol over the Atlantic Ocean.

Shortly after take off the Coast Guard at Ramoor Head at 0156 hours reported seeing an aircraft coming from south of the River Foyle at a height of approx 1500 feet and heading towards the sea. Intermittent flashes were coming from the tail of the aircraft and in less than a minute the aircraft burst into flames, and crashed into the sea.8 to12 miles from Portrush. Some wreckage washed up in Eire revealed evidence of extensive fire damage in the fuselage. Salvage operations were conducted but no trace of the aircraft or the missing crew was found. Pilot Officer Weeks body was recovered from the sea off Magilligan Point, Northern Ireland.

My photograph shows Pilot Officer Weeks Headstone in Limavady.
(Thanks to Seamus Breslin)

(Thanks to Seamus Breslin)

Flight Sergeant Leslie Woods was with 7 Operational Training Unit, Royal Air Force.

On the 28th November 1943, Wellington DV664 took off on a non-operational daytime bombing practice, and crashed at 1220 hours 100 yards north east of the Strand, Port
Ballintrae, County Antrim, Northern Ireland. All the crew lost their lives. Eye witness reported that the aircraft bombed the target on a low level bombing drop, and then turned to starboard at a height of approx 200 feet. 

On completing the turn the aircraft dived directly into the sea after the aircraft had straightened up. The accident occurred during daylight with strong winds and heavy seas. Had the accident been due to stalling in the turn, it was thought the aircraft would have gone in one wing first. There was insufficient evidence as to the cause of the crash, but it was considered probable that the Pilot stalled the aircraft.
Flight Sergeant Woods body was washed ashore. (This information comes from the excellent WW2Talk Forum)

The three photographs above show the Funeral procession of Flight Sergeant Leslie Woods in Limavady (Australian War Memorial)

Flying Officer James Wheadon MacDougal (MID) was a Bomb Aimer Instructor and Sergeant Ernest Edward Fraser was Pilot aboard Lockheed Hudson III, V9112 (Along with Pilot Officer Kenneth Allan Norris whose Headstone is shown below). 

They were flying with 1527 Beam Approach  / Radio Aids Training Flight based at Prestwick in Southwest Scotland and were killed in a forced landing at Cockainwell near Ballycastle in County Antrim.

Remembering the Unknown

Here are two Unknown people who gave their lives during the Second World War.

A Sailor of the Merchant Navy who was Buried on 25th June 1940 and an Airman of the Royal Air Force. (Many Thanks to Graham Galt for the Merchant Navy picture)

Three American Airmen Buried at Christchurch, Limavady

The policy of the United States was that all of their Service personnel who had died in Northern Ireland were either repatriated to the United States or moved to the American Cemetery in Cambridgeshire.

The only other U.S. Armed Forces graves I am aware of in Northern Ireland are those of men who had survived the war and returned to Northern Ireland where they died peacefully in later years. - There are a few of these headstones which are shown on this website.

With this Airman having served with Royal Air Force Ferry Command he has a Commonwealth War Graves headstone.

Captain Frederick Andrew Matson was from Milwaukee, Wisconsin and a Pilot with R.A.F. Ferry Command.

On 12th April 1942 he was with Flying Officer James Whealdon Macdougall and Sergeant Ernest Edward Fraser at Number 1527 Beam Approach / Radio Aids Training Flight at Prestwick, Scotland.

They were flying Hudson III V9112 when the aircraft crashed in a forced landing at Cockainwell near Ballycastle.

(Above 2 items from

Flight Sergeant (Pilot) William Benjamin Fry was from San Benito, Texas and had joined the Royal Canadian Air Force.

He was serving with 504 Squadron, Royal Air Force who at the time of his death were based at Ballyhalbert in County Down with the Squadron flying Spitfire aircraft.

On 26th September 1942 he crashed his Spitfire near Dungiven, County Londonderry. - His Funeral is shown above passing through Limavady.

(Information and picture from

Pilot Officer Kenneth Allan Norris was serving with the Royal Canadian Air Force however he was from Corpus Christie,Texas, in the United States.

Royal Irish Fusiliers from Limavady and Kilrea reading the Northern Constitution in Malta.

Copyright of photograph unknown

Bus Driver Shot Dead by U.S. Soldier.

On 17 April 1942 a US Army convoy was travelling along the Limavady to Londonderry Road.

The convoy was transporting some of America's most high ranking military and political officers including President Roosevelt’s personal adviser, Harry Hopkins, and Averall Harriman.

US Army Chief of Staff, General George C. Marshall and Lieutenant General Cheney, as well as Major General Russell Hartle were all included.

Between Limavady to Ballykelly the various vehicles within the convoy began to overtake a bus which was being driven by Mr, Albert Rodden.

All has passed safely except for the tailing Scout Car. Private Thomas De Felice, who was the driver of the Scout Car, later said that he had tried to overtake the bus on a number of occasions and he believed that the driver was deliberately preventing him from passing.

Having tried on four occasions De Felice had pulled the Scout Car onto the opposite side of the road and began his overtake but as he drew level with the bus he was forced off the road.

Private John J Fraula, who was a passenger in the scout car, said that he believed a crash was inevitable as both vehicles were travelling at speed and stated that the bus had obstructed the scout car for about a mile.

During an investigation a Military Motorcyclist, who had been escorting the convoy, stated that he had drawn alongside the bus and asked the driver to let the scout car past however the driver had told him to ‘stay behind’ and made a gesture to emphasise this.

The motorcyclist confirmed that Private Thomas De Felice had made four attempts to overtake and that the bus had moved out deliberately, forcing the scout car off the road.

Sergeant William V. Clipsham, who was from Narbeth, Pennsylvania, was in charge of the vehicle and said that he had been standing in the Scout Car waved with both hands at the bus driver trying to signal him to pull over when his vehicle was forced off the road.

When the scout car hit the kerb three rounds were discharged from its forward machine gun, killing Albert Rodden.

An American war correspondent, Robert G. Nixon, who had been travelling in the convoy, expressed surprise at the behaviour of the bus driver as the convoy was travelling at around 40 to 45 mph.

He had asked Sergeant Clipsham if there had been any shooting and Clipsham had said a gun had been fired but he did not know where.

Sergeant Clipsham was later Court-Martialled for shooting Albert Rodden and it is interesting to note that his Second-in-Command of the scout car, Corporal Looney, stated that Clipsham had not been standing behind the front facing machine gun from which the shots had been fired.

Lieutenant P. C. Madeira, who was Commander of the Convoy Escort said that he had given orders for the machine gun to be ‘half-loaded’ which meant that the gunner would need to make at least one movement to fire the weapon thus making a negligent discharge less likely.

In contradiction of this Corporal Picariello, who was a Weapons Instructor, had examined the gun on the following Monday and discovered that, if half loaded, it would go off after being tapped a few times.

He gave evidence that it was ‘normal practice to tap this make of gun to see if it was defective’ and this evidence was corroborated by a Technical Sergeant from the Ordnance Maintenance Department who had also examined the gun.

Evidence of the Technical Sergeant was critical to the case and he stated that he considered the weapon to have been defective and that a sharp knock would have caused it to fire.

The prosecution argued that Sergeant Clipsham was responsible for the weapon and action however he was found Not Guilty.

Sergeant William Clipsham was the first US serviceman to be Court Martialled within the United Kingdom.

Albert Rodden is buried in an unmarked grave in Ballykelly Presbyterian Church.

(Thanks to Graham Galt, Northern Ireland War Memorial, Biloxi Daily Herald)

Ballykelly Church of Ireland

These are the Second World War graves which can be found in the Church of Ireland Church in Ballykelly. All are Airmen representing the Royal Air Force, Royal New Zealand Air Force, Royal Canadian Air Force and Royal Australian Air Force.

Flight Sergeant (Observer) Stanley Frederick Chadwick, Service Number 916276, was serving with the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

Flight Lieutenant (Pilot) Archibald Duncan Livingstone, Service Number 33514, was serving with the Royal Air Force.
Both men died on 30th April 1942.

Group Captain Harry King Goode was born on 22 October 1892 to Florence Annie King and was then adopted by Thomas and Margaret Goode of Ryton, Bulkin.

At the start of the First World War he joined the Royal Engineers on 8 September 1914 when he was 22 years old and became a motorcycle dispatch rider before transferring on 14 November 1917 to the Royal Flying Corps.

The Citation for the award of his Distinguished Flying Cross says "A brilliant fighting pilot who sets a fine example of courage and determination to the officers of his squadron. He has destroyed six enemy aeroplanes and two kite balloons."

In 1919 he received the Distinguished Service Order with the Citation “During the present offensive this officer has done excellent work, showing exceptional skill, gallantry’ and devotion to duty. He has destroyed five enemy kite balloons, three of which he had to continue to attack to the ground until they burst into flames. He has destroyed three enemy aircraft, which were standing on an enemy aerodrome and also attacked personnel, hangars and Mess Buildings of this aerodrome from 10 feet, causing the enemy to abandon eight machines they had on the aerodrome. This was all accomplished between 27 th. and 29 th. October. he has most successfully attacked transports and troops, and on two occasions reported two very large concentrations of enemy troops and transports. he is also officially credited with capturing fifteen enemy guns from the air. he has continually taken his patrol down to very low altitudes to bomb and machine gun enemy road movements with exceptional good results. In his last attack on enemy transport he was shot in the face while diving down to attack. he nevertheless continued his dive, taking his patrol down to 50 feet and dropping his four bombs, obtaining all direct hits, after which he continued to machine gun this transport until exhausting his ammunition. This officer has now destroyed seven enemy kite balloons and nine enemy aeroplanes and his example of bravery to others has at all times been exceptionally brilliant

Following the end of the First World War he remained in the Royal Air Force and after serving in the Middle East he was stationed for a time with 502 squadron based at Aldergrove before returning to RAF Hendon to command 24 squadron. He was promoted to Squadron Leader on 1 December 1935, and awarded the Air Force Cross in January 1939. From 24 squadron he took command of 60 OTU during late April 1941 as Group Captain (temp), and he decided to retire on 15 December 1941.

He joined the RAF Accident Branch and whilst visiting Northern Ireland on 21 August 1942 was killed in the crash of LV340/X a Liberator 111 from 120 squadron whilst on transit between Ballykelly and Nutts Corner in conditions of low cloud or sea mist. It hit a rock at around 1100 feet and crashed at 1150 hrs against the lower slopes of Big Trosk Mountain which is north of Waterfall Road to the Northwest of Carnlough killing all of the crew on board.

Sergeant (Pilot) Arnolous Bothma MeyerService Number 776185, 120 Squadron, Royal Air Force.

Sergeant (Air Gunner) Thomas William Taylor, Service Number 405529, Aged 20 years, Serving with 120 (Royal Air Force) Squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force.

Thomas was the Son of Sidney James Taylor and Evelyn May Taylor, of Koromiko, Marlborough, New Zealand.

Both these men were killed in the same crash as Group Captain Goode shown above.

Flight Sergeant (Wireless Op./Air Gunner) Sidney Albert Hardie Richards, Service Number R/113705, was serving with 86 (R.A.F.) Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force.

He was the Son of Sidney Albert Richards, and Robina Hardie Richards, of North Esk Boom, Northumberland Co., New Brunswick, Canada. He had been born in Edinburgh Scotland on 20 November, 1922 and arrived in Canada when he was 5 years old.

On 24th October 1943 Flight Sergeant Richards was aboard Consolidated Liberator III B-24D FL954 flying from R.A.F. Ballykelly for an Anti-Submarine Patrol however shortly after take-off the aircraft crashed into Lough Foyle with the loss of all 9 Crew.

The Captain was Squadron Leader F.L.Cooper with Flying Officer D.G. Evans as second Pilot.

A Launch from 60 Air Sea Rescue Marine Craft Unit, which was based on Lough Foyle, search the area and 5 Bodies were subsequently recovered.

On 15th November 1943 the body of Squadron Leader Cooper was buried at sea.

In 1982 one of the propellers from the Liberators engines was recovered by a Lynx Helicopter of 655 Squadron, Army Air Corps and for a time was displayed outside their Sergeants Mess at Ballykelly.

Two Liberator Aircraft Crashes within hours of each other in Donegal

Warrant Officer Class I (Wireless Op./Air Gunner) Vaughan Albert McLellan, Service Number R/73406, was aboard Consolidated Liberator GR.V FL989 of 59 Squadron, Royal Air Force, which had taken off from Ballykelly at approximately 2pm on 19th June 1944. Within a short time of doing so the aircraft crashed in heavy fog at Glengad Head on the Inishowen Peninsula in the Republic of Ireland.

Vaughan was 22 years old and serving with the royal Canadian Air Force.

He was the Son of Vaughan Bertram and Eleanor Woods McLellan, of Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada.

The 59 Squadron logo - A broken gun wheel is shown on the right above a Squadron Plaque (Queens Crown rather than Kings Crown unfortunately)

Within a few hours of the crash which I refer to above there was a second.

This one involving Consolidated Liberator GR.V FL990  OH-A . This had also taken off from R.A.F. Ballykelly and crashed at Carrowtrasna Hill on the Inishowen Peninsula.

This aircraft also had a Crew of 8 and all were lost as was the case with FL989.

These men were among those who perished.

Flight Sergeant Kenneth John Nielsen Apitz, Service Number 422370, who was serving with Royal Australian Air Force and 20 years old.

He was the Foster-son of Anders Nielsen and Evelyn Ruth Apitz, of Hamilton, New South Wales, Australia.

Flight Sergeant Norman Athol CooperService Number 421978, Royal Aistralian Air Force, 25 years old who was the Son of Alfred Ernest and Rhoda May Cooper, of Tingha, New South Wales, Australia.

Flight Sergeant (Navigator) John Haines, Service Number 931471, 24 years old, 59 Squadron, Royal Air Force.

John was the Son of Edward and Jane Haines, of Deptford, London.

Flight Lieutenant (Pilot) Rowland Paine WadeService Number 88398, 30 years old, 59 Squadron, Royal Air Force,

Rowland was the Son of John Francis and Maud Mary Wade and Husband of Zelie Nienes Cockburn Wade, of Pewsey, Wiltshire.

On 24th June 1944 Consolidated Liberator V H, FL977 had been on operational sortie lasting 16 hours and was returning to R.A.F. Ballykelly.

There was thick fog and the Pilot made three attempts to land before crashing into Benevenagh Mountain with the loss of all crew.

Warrant Officer (Wireless Operator (Air Gunner) Henry Gordon Coombe, Service Number 421266, Aged 32, Royal New Zealand Air Force serving with 59 Squadron, Royal Air Force.

Henry was the Son of Henry Thomas Coombe and Eliza May Coombe and was the Husband of Grace Coombe, of Wellington City, New Zealand.

Pilot Officer (Wireless Op./Air Gunner) George William Gerring, Service Number 90925, was 23 years old. He was Royal Canadian Air Force serving with 59 Squadron, Royal Air Force. He is seen on the left in the R.C.A.F. Photograph.

George was the Son of David and Martha Gerring, of Brandon, Manitoba, Canada.

Warrant Officer Class I (Wireless Op./Air Gunner) Wilfred Clarke Wallace, Service Number R/134952, was 24 years old and Royal Canadian Air Force serving with 59 Squadron, Royal Air Force.

He was the Son of Thomas Arthur and Laura M. Wallace, of Nelson, British Columbia, Canada. and I have included the photographs of Wilfred and his Aircraft which are beside his Headstone.

Sergeant Cecil Danks, Service Number 292697, was 45 years old and serving with 59 Squadron, Royal Air Force when he died on 20th January 1945.

Cecil was the Son of William Henry and Gertrude Danks and Husband of Maude Elizabeth Danks, of Huyton-Roby, Lancashire.

Flying Officer (Pilot) Ian Lachlin Macfayden, Service Number J/36483, was serving with the Royal Canadian Air Force and was 21 years old when he was killed on 6th March 1945. He was in a crew of 5 in an Avro Anson which crashed into Mullaghclogha Mountain at Plumbridge in County Tyrone at approx 00.30

Ian was the Son of Alexander and Catherine MacFadyen, of Port Arthur, Ontario, Canada.

The shield shown above was sitting beside the grave of Flying Officer (Pilot) Ian Lachlin Macfayden.

It says "In Loving Memory of Ian. Aunt Ann 3rd August 1945.

Private Jean McCarron, Service Number W/51539, was 24 years old and serving with the Auxiliary Territorial Service when she died on 14th September 1945.

Jean was the Daughter of Robert and Margret McCarron, of Tamlaght.

Garvagh Presbyterian Church.

Thomas Fleming was serving as an Aircraftsman 1st Class, 1795114, when he was killed whilst on Active Service on 10th April 1944.

This Headstone is at Main Street Garvagh Presbyterian Church.

St Patricks Church of Ireland, Kilrea.

Private William Henry Cottingham was serving with the Royal Army Service Corps when he died on 30th November 1941. 

Church of Ireland Rectory, Maghera

Ron Greenwood, who was later to become the Manager of the England Football Team, served in Northern Ireland with the Royal Air Force.

He was with a Mobile Radar Unit and for a time was billeted at the Church of Ireland Rectory in Maghera which is shown here.

(Thanks very much to Rhys Jones for his considerable assistance)

St Lurach's Church, Maghera

Immediately beside this church is the final resting place of James Hamilton Swain who served with distinction in the Royal Navy during the Second World War.

His headstone shows that he won both the Distinguished Service Order and Distinguished Service Cross.

Commander Swain saw action in the Mediterranean and played a major roll in Operation Pedestal when he Captained H.M.S. Penn (Shown below) ensuring the safe arrival in Valetta, Malta of SS Ohio containing much needed supplies.

This vital action ensured the continued dominance of the Allied forces in both North Africa and Southern Europe.

(Thanks very much to Rhys Jones for his considerable assistance. The Operation Pedestal photograph above is from

Shown above is S.S. Ohio arriving in Valetta. H.M.S. Penn can be seen on the far side helping to keep the heavily damaged ship afloat. My comparrison picture shows the same location.

Shown below are a selection of artifacts from the Ohio which are on display in the Malta War Museum in Valetta.

Army Camps in Maghera

There were two Camps of soldiers in the Maghera Area.

On visiting the sites there is virtually nothing remaining however at one it was very pleasing to find some tree carvings.

Shown here is a picture of one of the trees where the date 6th March 1943 is clearly visible.

Air Crash Memorial Stone, Maghera

Commodore James Alexander Logan, Commander of the United States Navy in Londonderry, Captain Loren Lee Miles of the 8th United States Army Air Force and David Grimes who was Vice-President of Philco Radio Co. were on board Cessna UC-78 Bobcat Uility Aircraft Number 42 58314 (Similar to the one shown in the Public Domain picture above) when it crashed at Carntogher, Maghera on 3rd September 1943.

All of those on board were killed.

The Memorial at the Crash Site ans shown here is in a field on the left side of Tirkane Road.

On passing Slaghtneill Road continue until before the sharp right hand turn. As you approach you will see an entrance into the field on your left. Park here and walk directly ahead where you will find the Memorial.

(For more visit the following website -

Clonmore House, Maghera

Clonmore House at Upperlands near Maghera was requisitioned by Military Personnel on 21st July 1940. (Information from

Spring Hill, Moneymore

This is a particularly interesting site and I am sure many of the visitors to this National Trust property are not aware of the extent of the Second World War history which lies here.

Following the beginning of the Second World War the house was used as a billet for soldiers of The Berkshire Yeomanry and 119th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment Royal Artillery.

In 1942 the first American Army personel arrived and these were 112th Engineers with Company L 519th Quartermaster Regiment arriving on 23rd December 1943.

"Tower Hill Camp" was part of the Spring Hill Estate but at the opposite end of Beech Walk from Spring Hill House.

During the Second World War racial segregation was a part of life within the United States Army and the "Colored" Battalions were not permitted to reside with the rest of the Troops.

At Spring Hill this ruling was illustrated by the construction of Tower Hill Camp which in October 1943 became home to Company D 544th Quartermaster Service Battalion (Colored) and later on 23rd December 1943 3991st Quartermaster Truck Company (Colored) who remained here until 18th May 1944. 

It was at that time that Northern Ireland suddenly emptied of all the Military Personel who had been here in their thousands but had now moved to the Southern Coastline of England in preparation for the invasion of Occupied Europe on what was known as D-Day 4th June 1944.

Back in Moneymore there soon became another use for Tower Hill Camp which was used as a Prisoner of War Camp in which German Prisoners were held and used to tidy the Estate with gardening and tree pruning!

Visitors to the site can still see what remains of Tower Hill Camp which is concealed within the trees to the right of the Tower when walking from the back of Spring Hill House.

The picture directly above shows one of the concrete floors of a nissen hut which had been constructed here and if you stand on the concrete and look towards the tower you will see that there are approximately another four or five of these bases which made up a considerable section of "Tower Hill Camp"

The photographs here show some U.S. Army "Colored" Troops (Precise location unknown) (From Getty Pictures)

Moneymore Medical Supply Depot

The United States Army operated a Medical Supply Depot at Lismoney, near Moneymore.

The old building shown here is in the area of where i believe the Depot was operated from at Lismoney Road.

Royal Navy "Wren" with U.S. Navy Yeoman and also U.S. Soldier.

Has the appearance of a Propaganda type photograph however I like the wording on the poster in the background! 

Described as US Navy yeoman and a member of the Women's Royal Naval Service at the US Naval Operations Base. (All from

In the first few pictures this WREN is seen with a U.S. Navy Yeoman however these pictures then show her with an American Soldier - But then in the next Picture the Soldier is seen with Two WRENS. (All are Life Magazine Photographs)