The Second World War in Northern Ireland

The Second World War in Northern Ireland

Information - People

Pilot Officer William Frederick Dixon Charlton from Lurgan

Pilot Officer Charlton was serving with 408 (Royal Canadian Air Force) Squadron based at R.A.F. Balderton, Nottinghamshire.

On the night of 1st / 2nd June 1942 he was flying in Hampden I, AT191, EQ-A to take part in a 1000 Bomber Raid on Essen, Germany.

Taking off at 22.58 the aircraft joined a total number of 955 others and headed for the target.

German Night Fighter Pilot Lt. Kark-Heinz Vollkopf of 4./NGJ2 claimed to have shot this aircraft down at 00:06 over Ijsselmeer in Northwest Holland.

A Dutch War Aircraft Salvage Expert has confirmed that this aircraft was recovered in 1961 however it was 50 miles south of the position claimed by the Luftwaffe Pilot meaning he could not have shot it down.

There were no bombs on board the aircraft meaning that it had either bombed the target or had jettisoned them in an attempt to evade a Night Fighter attack.

Pilot Officer Charlton is buried in Harderwijk General Cemetery.

It is believed he was on his 16th or 17th Mission when he was killed.

(Thanks very much to Jeff Hobson for the coloured photograph.DO NOT COPY. Aircraft picture from Wikipedia. Info from Aircrew Remembered website)

Squadron Leader Robert Wilkinson Turkington from Lurgan.

Robert enlisted in the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve in September 1940.

His Service Number was 117519 and he served in 43, 241 and 601 Squadrons.

The first enemy aircraft he shot down was a Junkers Ju 88 during a duel over Algiers and in 1943 he was involved in a number of aerial battles over both Italy and Sicily during which he claimed 5 Victories with one being described:-

"We broke into them and attacked the starboard aircraft in one formation.

"Immediately two Me-109s attacked me from 3 o'clock and above, firing their guns.

"I turned to meet this attack and started to dog-fight with one of the enemy aircraft.

"I got on his tail and the Me-109 did aileron turns down to 1,000ft.

"He flew straight and level and I gave him a short burst of cannon, immediately seeing strikes on the fuselage and black smoke and small pieces coming off.

"I closed to very short range giving long bursts of cannon - white smoke and flames started to come from the engine.

"The army confirm the enemy aircraft crashed near Venafro."

On 21st January 1944 Turkington was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross with the Citation saying:-

He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross in January 1944, with the citation reading: "He quickly made his mark as a fine leader and during the whole of the North African and Sicilian campaigns showed the greatest skill and enthusiasm to engage the enemy.

"His consistent resourcefulness, skilful flying and untiring devotion to duty has set a magnificent example to the test of the squadron, many months of which were spent under the most arduous conditions."

Date:11 January 1944 Issue number:36330 Page number:314 




Flg. Offs. to be Flt. Lts. (war subs.): —

R. W. TURKINGTON (117519). (Thanks very much to Jeff Hobson for the coloured photograph.DO NOT COPY)

Date:21 January 1944 Issue number:36346 

Air Ministry, 25th January, 1944.

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards : —

Distinguished Flying Cross.

Acting Flight Lieutenant Robert Wilkinson TURKINGTON (117519), Royal Air Force Volunteer

Reserve, No. 43 Squadron.


Within a few months he had been awarded a second Distinguished Flying Cross -

Date:19 September 1944 Issue number:36713 


Bar to Distinguished Flying Cross.

Flight Lieutenant Robert Wilkinson TURKINGTON,

D.F.C. (H75I9), R.A.F.V.R., 241 Sqn.

This officer has set a fine example of skill, determination and devotion to duty. He has

completed a large number of sorties and much of the success, achieved by the squadron can be attributed to this officer's efficiency and resolution. 

During a sortie in July, he destroyed one and probably destroyed a second enemy aircraft

although only one cannon was functioning in his aircraft. Flight Lieutenant Turkington is a

gallant and inspiring Flight Commander.


As his actions continued Turkington was awarded the Distinguished Service Order


Date:17 April 1945 Issue number:37043 

Air Ministry, 20th April, 1945.

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards: —

Distinguished Service Order.

Acting Squadron Leader.

Robert Wilkinson TURKINGTON, D.F.C. (117510) R.A.F.V.R., 601 Sqn.


He had written to his mum Amelie promising he'd be home safely, prompting her to have his room redecorated however this was not to be the case because when on standby duty in Italy his aircraft suddenly spiralled to the ground and crashed in a ball of flames. - Shown below are his Medals with another photograph of Robert Turkington below (Information and Pictures from The Sun newspaper. Bottom photograph as shown on Antiques Roadshow)

Richard Keegan, Royal Ulster Rifles from Lurgan

The photograph above shows D Company, 18th Platoon, 2nd Battalion, Royal Ulster Rifles.

Richard Keegan is shown on the left of the photograph below with his friend Jimmy Pedlow from Belfast. Richard is also shown in the next photograph.

Richard was from Lurgan and landed in Normandy on D-Day.

He had been on a large Landing Craft which had a ramp on either side.

It was difficult to get ashore because, as well as his 60 lbs of equipment, he had to carry a bicycle in the large swell.

In a BBC interview he continued "We got up the beach which had already been opened by the engineers and the commandos that went in in front of us. This meant that the mines were cleared. We went through that area and up a wee side street onto our bikes and we went to a place that they named the Orchard. There we had the rollcall to see that all was correct. We then moved on from there to a farm area and we dug in for the night. We were about 4 or 5 miles in then. Our beachhead was more or less secure. Then we were briefed for our first attack which was to take place in June. 

The first shell that came over that morning wounded the man I joined up with. We left our bikes at that stage. I was a platoon runner and operator and the wireless was soaked and I said to my Officer: “This wireless is useless”. He told me to dump it with my bike so I left it there. I never saw the bike or the wireless again. We went on from there on foot and the Germans came over and machine-gunned us as we walked along the road. We were very fortunate — whenever they were shooting, they machine-gunned up the middle of the road and we were able to lie into the ditches quite safe. Our company - D company- was lead company for the attack on Wood Gazelle. 

We moved across a cornfield about 1600 yards and came to the wood where there was a wall. One half of the company went to the left and one straight on. 

Whenever we got in we could see personnel mines hung in the trees and mines on the ground. 

Machine gun fire opened up on us and we were pinned down. My platoon officer told me to tell Captain Montgomery that we were pinned down and we were going to pull out. 

So I crawled the whole way back through the wood and up the other side to where the Captain was and told him. He agreed and I went back and told the platoon officer. We had to leave the wounded behind. 

Later when we came back to try again we found that the Germans had shot them in the head. The company commander was also dead.

In that second attack I was shot on the right hand side. I damaged my foot and it wasn’t until I went back in a visit to Normandy that I thought about what I had done that it suddenly dawned on me that I had put that foot in a shell hole and broke bones and ruptured ligaments. I was moved from there onto the beach and I was shipped back to England. Whenever I got out of hospital, I was posted to the Royal Corps of Signals and I used to tow their vehicles back and get them repaired if necessary. In 1946 I was due for demob and they wanted me to stay in the army but I decided to become a civilian again." 

(From BBC WW2 Peoples War. Thanks very much to Jeff Hobson for the coloured photographs)

Flight Sergeant Thomas William Thompson

Flight Sergeant Thompson was a member of R.A.F.V.R. and was with Number 3 Tactical Air Force Communications Squadron.

He was lost in Anson 1 LT893 between Lanka and Imphal.

He was the Son of Thomas William and Mary A Thompson. His body has never been recovered and he is named on the War Memorial in Lurgan. 

(Anson photograph from Wikipedia. Coloured photograph of Flight Sergeant Thompson from Jeff Hobson. ***PLEASE DO NOT COPY***)

Flying Officer Samuel Tweedy Hewitt

Flying Officer Samuel Hewitt was from Silverwood, Lurgan.

He was serving with 103 Squadron, Royal Air Force and on 17th December 1942 was in Lancaster W4786 flown by Pilot Officer Harry Bernard Smith on a Mining Operation in the Baltic Sea along with another 49 aircraft.

It is believed that the aircraft was attacked by a Night Fighter.

The Crew are buried at Aabenraa Cemetery, Denmark.

(My photograph of a Lancaster with excellent colour photograph of Samuel Hewitt by Jeff Hobson. ***PLEASE DO NOT COPY***)

Flight Lieutenant Bill Eames, R.A.F. Pilot from Enniskillen.

Bill Eames was born in Enniskillen and on leaving Portora Royal School at 17 years old he joined the Royal Air Force in 1941.

Following Induction at Lords Cricket Ground in London he learned to fly on Tiger Moths at Brough near Hull in Yorkshire before being part of the Arnold Scheme and being transported across the Atlantic Ocean to receive instruction on a number of aircraft including Stearman and Vultee as well as Harvard and Anson.

 After the uncomfortable outward journey things were much more pleasant of the return leg as this was done aboard the R.M.S. Aquitania which had been converted to use as a Troopship. (Shown above in Bill with a Parachute Regiment Officer and the Aquitania is shown below)

Based for a time at R.A.F. Ashbourne in Derbyshire Bill flew Whitley and Albermarle aircraft and in 1943 he served with 570 Squadron based at R.A.F. Hurn in Dorset from where he took part is Supply Drop operations where supplies were dropped to Maquis in occupied France.

These operations took place on moonlit nights, with navigation being done by watching for water features, and always below 2000 feet!

A Whitley aircraft is shown above with an Albermarle being below. (Imperial War Museum photographs)

In the early hours of 6th June 1944, D-Day, Bill was flying a Short Stirling aircraft which was towing a Horsa Glider full of troops. The glider was released on the eastern side of Sword Beach near the town of Ouistreham.

Bill was again in action during Operation Market Garden when he towed Gliders on the first three days of the Operation.

On day three, Tuesday 19th September 1944, he was wounded by gunfire but was able to fly back to England where he spent some time in Hospital in Oxford.

(Photograph above is from "Aircrew Remembered Website" and shows Short Stirling towing a Horsa Glider.)

Having recovered from his wounds he returned to flying however the injury to his left hand meant that he would be Co-Pilot rather than Pilot.

Bill ended the war as a Flight Lieutenant and the holder of the 1939 - 1945 Star, Air Crew Europe Star, Defence Medal and Victory Medal with Mentioned in Despatched Oak Leaf.

Bill Eames in a Hercules aircraft at the 2017 Battle of Arnhem Memorial in Holland and shown below at the Hartenstein Hotel Museum in Oosterbeek, Arnhem.

My Sincere Thanks to Bill Eames for spending the time to tell me of his experiences and providing photographs for this Article. ******PLEASE DO NOT COPY*****

Sergeant Teddy Dixon the Belfast G.I. who Liberated Dachau and Recovered Goering's Stolen Art Treasures!!

Teddy’s parents emigrated to the United States where Edward Copeland Dixon was born in New York City in March 1920.

After living for a time in Stanford, Connecticut the family returned to Belfast where Teddy grew up and became a Baker.

With the outbreak of the Second World War he was living in Carrington Street and joined the local A.R.P. (Air Raid Precautions Warden). One of is recollections is seeing a Parachute Mine, which he describes as the size of a Post Box, falling at Ormeau Park - Fortunately it failed to detonate and was subsequently made safe by Royal Navy E.O.D.

In 1944 Teddy received his Draft Papers for the United States Army and immediately volunteered for Service with the Americans at their Headquarters at The Grove in Belfast. From there he had a Medical Examination at Waringfield Hospital in Moira and received his Uniform at Langford Lodge in County Antrim.

One of his first difficulties was understanding his fellow Soldiers as he recalls not knowing what “Chow” meant however his evolution into a Soldier progressed including two weeks training at Lichfield followed by six weeks at Tidworth.

Teddy became a member of the 42nd Infantry, Rainbow Division landing at Le Havre before being transported to Marseille on the Southern coast of France and into action.

Advancing through France, Teddy was in Strasbourg in December 1944 before crossing the Hardt Mountains and through Hitler’s Siegfried Line of defences. He crossed the River Rhine and on to the City of  Wurzburg before heading southeast to Nuremberg. It was a rapid advance having entered Germany in March and the following month he arrived at Munich and came face to face with the hell that was Dachau Concentration Camp.

There was considerable resistance including mortar fire on 28th April (Top photograph shows later that day with Teddy in the foreground. Above left he is in the centre of the picture and on the right of the second photograph) and Teddy’s Squad had some soldiers killed as they continued to move forward. Some German Soldiers surrendered during the advance towards Dachau Camp which was immediately beside a large S.S. Barracks. - Below left is the S.S. Barracks as it looked during the War and on the right is as it looks now.

Shown above is part of the Dachau Complex which was used by the S.S. for what was referred to as "Business Enterprise"

Soon Teddy found himself at the iconic gates of Dachau Concentration Camp with the cynical sign “Arbeit Macht Frei” meaning “Work Sets You Free” - He was one of the first 12 Soldiers to enter the Camp on 29th April 1945 and can still see the bodies of so many dead along with the indescribable smell. - As can be seen from the photographs below this Entrance how has a Memorial to the men of the Rainbow Division who Liberated Dachau on that memorable day.

A railway line ran along Friedenstrasse and there were dozens of Railway Carriages filled with dead bodies.  - Friedenstrasse is still there today however the railway track has now been converted into a pedestian walkway with a number of informative Notice Boards showing how it looked in 1944. Two of these are included with my picture below.

Teddy, along with other Soldiers, gave his rations to the starving prisoners who had yet to succumb and were thanked with hugs and kissed for liberating this terrible place.

They did their best to save as many as possible however for many it was too late and they died in front of the Soldiers. - Some of the liberated Prisoners are shown below.

Here American Officers are shown examining a Gas Chamber and my photograph shows the same Gas chamber today with the outside shown below.

The photograph on the left was taken on 20th January 1941 with my comparison on the right. - The Perimeter of the Camp had a Prohibited Area before the Ditch then a Barbed Wire Obstacle and Electrified Fence behind which was the Sentry Walk before the Perimeter Wall.

In just over a week the war in Europe ended on 8th May 1945 however the job was not done for Teddy whose Division was sent to Austria to search for Nazis hiding in the mountains and it was south of Salzburg at Hallein that Teddy was involved in a very special operation.

He was sent to a Salt Mine where around 2000 priceless paintings by various masters had been hidden. These had been stolen by the Nazis for Reichsmarshall Hermann Goering however when the war was coming to an end they were loaded into wooden crates and hidden in the Mine.

Having been discovered the crates were removed by German Prisoners of War under the watchful eyes of Teddy and other Soldiers.

With so many paintings and the care needed to remove them from the mine it took quite some time using small railcars being pushed by hand.

Once the paintings were brought to the surface they were under heavy guard by Military Police and loaded onto trucks before being taken to Salzburg Castle.

Teddy’s war finally came to an end in 1947.

During his service he was awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge along with the Bronze Star for “Meritorious Achievement in Ground Combat against the Armed Enemy during World war II” as well as the Good Conduct Medal, European, African, Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with 2 Battle Stars, the Victory Medal and the Army of Occupation Medal with “Germany” bar.

Shown above is an item from "The War Illustrated" showing the stolen treasures inside the mine.
(Thank-you very much to Teddy and Johnston Dixon for spending the time to tell me of these experiences) *****PLEASE DO NOT COPY*****

Lieutenant Commander W. Stuart D.S.O. and 2 Bars From Keady

This photograph was taken in June 1945 on board the Aircraft Carrier H.M.S. Indomitable. It shows Lieutenant Commander W. Stuart D.S.O. and 2 Bars (From Keady) in the cockpit of an Avenger with Lieutenant I.J. Davies R.N. of Stowe, Bucks Observer on the left and Chief Petty Officer Pirie from Elie in Fife. (I.W.M. Photograph)

9 Sailors from Northern Ireland on H.M.S. Khedive

This photograph shows 9 Ulstermen serving on the Royal Navy Escort Carrier H.M.S. Khedive standing in front of a Hellcat.

Back Row:- AB James campbell from Keady, County Armagh, William Russell from Belfast, Hugh Fox from Belfast, Leading Writer J. Markwell from Belfast, Leading Writer Terence Rowan from Belfast, AB William Maddocks from Belfast.

Front Row - John Anderson from Belfast, AB George Hill from Kilrea County Londonderry and AB Hugh McCluskey from Portaferry, County Down. (IWM Photograph)

Northern Ireland Sailors on H.M.S. Ameer

H.M.S. Ameer was an Escort Carrier and among the Crew were these men from Northern Ireland.

Back Row left to right T.Sloane from Newcastle, H.McLean from Belfast, W.McLaughlin from Co Donegal, Leaney from Belfast, A Miall from Belfast, A Smythe from Belfast.

2nd Row W. Walker from Belfast, A. Crossin from Belfast, Sub-Lieutenant Dalton from Belfast, Sub-Lieutenant Flunn from Belfast, J. Graham from Holywood, J.Sullivan from County Cork.

Front Row F. Black from Comber, Caldwell from Portadown, W.White from Belfast and A. McElhenny from Ballymoney. (I.W.M. Photograph)

Ulstermen in the Eastern Fleet.

Within this Group Photograph are a number of sailors from Northern Ireland.

Coder G.E. Sims from Holywood, Able Seaman R. Irvine from Belfast, Ordinary Seaman F. Jess from Killyleagh, County Down, Ordinary Seaman D. Clarke from Ballymena, County Antrim, Able Seaman P. Berry from Londonderry, Marine P.Wilson from Belfast, Ordinary Seaman W.Boyle from Castlewellan, County Down, Able seaman T. Agnew from Belfast, Signaller H. Crawford from Belfast and Commander S.H. Pinchin D.S.O. R.N. from Belfast.

Lieutenant F.W. Bramwell from Bangor.

Lieutenant F.W. Bramwell from Bangor was serving with the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve and was in command of MTB (Motor Torpedo Boat) 675.

He is shown here with his First Lieutenant Sub-Lieutenant M. Osborne. (I.W.M. Photograph)

Sailor from Northern Ireland among 8 Countries Represented in this Picture

Immediately to the right of the girl in this photograph is N/A 2 J. Beattie from County Tyrone who was serving with the Royal Canadian Navy.

The other Ratings are from Malta, New Zealand, Newfoundland, Canada, Wales, Scotland and England!  (IWM Photograph)

W.A.A.F. Freda Tinsley from Bangor

In the centre of this photograph facing the camera is Leading Aircraftwoman Freda Tinsley from Bangor.

The dance was taking place in the Lady Rosalinde Tedder Club for R.A.F. Other Ranks in Cairo. (I.W.M. Photograph)

Second Engineer Officer, Thomas George Greer

Second Engineer Officer, Thomas George Greer was 26 years old and from the Larne Area.

He was serving with the Merchant Navy on board S.S. Brier Rose when the ship was lost in Irish Sea - It is assumed due to Enemy Action. 

Captain Williams and 9 others were all lost. 

Thomas George Greer is named on the Tower Hill Memorial in Central London. 

(Thanks very much to John Baird for passing me details regarding both Second Engineer Officer Thomas George Greer and also Sergeant Flight-Engineer John Hillis who is shown below)

Sergeant, Flight-Engineer John Hillis

Sergeant Hillis was from Inver, Larne and  was serving with 78 Squadron, Royal Air Force.

At 22.23 hours on 30th March 1944 Sergeant Hillis was on board Handley-Page Halifax III, HX241, EY-P along with six other Crew members when their aircraft took off from R.A.F. Breighton in Yorkshire on a mission to Nuremburg in Germany.

Prior to the last turning point on their way to the target HX241 was attacked by a Night Fighter and shot from stern to front.

The aircraft was on fire and then broke into two before falling to the ground.

Only one of the Crew was able to escape the aircraft and parachute to the ground where he was taken Prisoner.

Sergeant Flight Engineer John Hillis is buried in Hanover War Cemetery.

Gunner Charles Henry Montgomery from Bangor

Gunner Charles Henry Montgomery was from Bangor, County Down and serving with 5th Battery / 2nd Battalion, Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery when he is reported as being "Missing" on 20th June 1942.

The Regiment had been raised on 15th October 1940 at Aldershot and was sent to Egypt in late 1940.

The 5th Battery was serving under 9th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment at Alexandria and then relieved the 1st Battery at Tobruk Fortress in September 1941 and the following month joined 12th Anti-Aircraft Brigade as part of the famous 8th Army at the front and remained there through the Battle of El Alamein in July 1942.

Located in the Benghazi area in January 1943 and under 2nd Anti Aircraft Brigade in Tripolitania in May 1943.

Fortunately Gunner Montgomery, who is shown here writing to his Wife, May, had been captured by the Enemy near Tobruk but he was able to escape by swimming across a canal and get back to Friendly Forces.

May was at home looking after their young child Harry who was born after Charles had left for war and had yet to see.

It is pleasing to report that Gunner Montgomery survived the war!

(Thanks very much to his Son Micheal Montgomery for the information and pictures)

Squadron Leader Terry Bulloch

Squadron Leader Terry Bulloch, who has died aged 98, was a pilot in Coastal Command who made the greatest number of sightings and attacks against German U-boats during the Battle of the Atlantic. By the end of the war he had been credited with sinking four, twice the number by any other pilot.

Due to the lack of long-range aircraft in 1941 and early 1942, sinkings of Allied shipping by German U-boats in the mid-Atlantic had reached alarming proportions. The introduction into RAF service of the American-built B-24 Liberator finally closed this “Atlantic Gap” and gave added protection to the essential convoys sailing from North American ports to the United Kingdom.

In December 1942, Bulloch, known throughout Coastal Command as “The Bull”, was in charge of a small detachment of No 120 Squadron in Iceland and, by this time, he had already developed a reputation as one of the most determined and successful U-boat hunters. On December 8, he and his crew took off from Reykjavik in their Liberator to fly a convoy patrol; 16 hours later they landed after one of the most remarkable operational wartime flights by an RAF aircraft — its like would never be repeated.

Two large convoys had left Halifax in Nova Scotia and were approaching an area where naval intelligence estimated that a U-boat “Wolf Pack” of 14 submarines was lurking in wait (post-war analysis established that there were 22). Bulloch intercepted convoy HX 217 and took up a position astern to counter a known U-boat tactic of shadowing a convoy whilst others from the pack converged. 

The weather was poor but Bulloch’s amazing eyesight picked up the wake of a surfaced U-boat and he dived to attack. The submarine commenced a crash dive but it was too late and Bulloch straddled it with six depth charges. There was a great upheaval of water and oil, wreckage and bodies soon floated to the surface. A Norwegian Navy corvette escorting the convoy investigated and confirmed the sinking. 

Soon after this success, Bulloch spotted two more U-boats and he attacked one with his two remaining depth charges forcing the submarine to dive. This was Bulloch’s twenty-second sighting of a U-boat (he had attacked twelve) far more than most squadrons had achieved, or ever did. However, this unique flight was not over.

Before it was time for him to depart, Bulloch and his crew sighted another five submarines. With no depth charges remaining, he dived and attacked each with his four Hispano 20mm cannons. On every occasion he forced the submarines to dive and abandon their attacks. 

A second Liberator arrived to relieve Bulloch and it continued the attacks forcing five more U-boats to dive. The attackers had been thrown into disarray and their positions revealed to the escorting naval forces who engaged them. Just two of the 90 ships were lost from the convoys.

Bulloch was awarded a Bar to a DSO that had been gazetted four weeks earlier. Some of his outstanding crew were also decorated, including a DSO to his navigator and a DFM to the flight engineer.

The national press in the UK and in Canada gave extensive coverage to the events, with headlines of “The Bull gets a U-boat” and “Sub smashers win 5 awards in big convoy fight”. An official Coastal Command report concluded, “the convoys were brought safely to port in the face of the most determined opposition yet encountered”.

Terence Malcolm Bulloch was born February 19 1916 in Lisburn, County Antrim and he attended Campbell College Belfast where he was the piper sergeant major in the Officer Training Corps and an excellent rugby player.

He joined the RAF on a short service commission in 1936 and trained as a pilot before flying Ansons in Coastal Command. By early 1940 he had transferred to No 206 Squadron to fly the twin-engined Hudson, patrolling the French, Dutch and Belgian coastal areas, including a number of hazardous trips during the evacuation of the BEF from Dunkirk. He attacked and damaged a German floatplane forcing it to land on the sea where he then bombed it. He also bombed the Channel ports being used in Hitler’s preparations to invade England in September 1940.

At the end of the year, he was awarded the DFC, which was soon followed by a mention in despatches.  

Rather than have a rest, Bulloch joined the RAF’s Ferry Command in Canada and flew four-engine bombers across the Atlantic to British airfields. On one occasion, flying a B-17 Fortress, he took just over eight hours to reach Prestwick in Scotland, a record flight across the Atlantic at that time.

With the arrival of the B-24 Liberators, some of which Bulloch had delivered, No 120 Squadron was formed at Nutts Corner, Belfast and Bulloch joined as a flight commander.

On October 21 1941, Bulloch made the squadron’s first attack against a U-boat but abandoned it briefly to attack a shadowing Focke Wulf 200 Kondor aircraft that was shadowing the convoy he was protecting. The Kondor left the area rapidly and Bulloch resumed his hunt for the submarine. He spotted a periscope and dived to attack with three depth charges. The attack was inconclusive and he was credited with a “damaged”.

Over the next nine months of patient patrolling, Bulloch made six more U-boat sightings. He damaged U-59 as it returned to Brest and, two days later, he seriously damaged U-653, forcing it to return to Brest where it spent six months being repaired.

In September he was in Iceland and on October 12 he achieved his, and the squadron’s, first confirmed “kill”. His depth charges virtually blew U-597 out of the water and it was last seen tipping vertically before disappearing.

Over the next two weeks he sighted and attacked four more submarines and on November 5 he sighted another two. Attacking one of them from bow to stern, his aim was accurate and his depth charges destroyed U-132. He was awarded a Bar to his DFC, the citation commenting, “his power of leadership is outstanding”.

After his memorable sortie of December 8, he became an instructor but took the opportunity to test new equipment, including a battery of eight rockets fitted to the nose of his aircraft. He was attached to No 224 Squadron and, on July 8 1943, he was on patrol near Cape Finisterre when he spotted the conning tower of a submarine in the wake of a fishing boat. He attacked and fired his eight rockets in pairs from fifty feet. He pulled up and re-attacked with his depth charges. U-514 outbound to South African waters was destroyed with all hands.

At the end of his tour, Bulloch refused to be rested and he joined a long-range transport squadron flying converted Liberators across the Atlantic. Later he flew with a special RAF transport squadron on routes across the Pacific. Towards the end of the war, he was seconded to BOAC and after his release from the RAF in July 1946 he joined the airline as a captain. He had logged over 4,500 flying hours by the time the war ended.

( for more details.)

Ulster Home Guard

Thanks very much to Claire Ruderman for these photographs of her Husbands Grandfather who, following service in the First World War, was back in uniform as a member of the Ulster Home Guard.

He also constructed the Air Raid Shelter which is shown here in the garden of his home in Belfast.

(More information can be found at

     Operation “Market Garden” and the Ulstermen killed at Arnhem

After the success of the invasion of Normandy on 6th June 1944 the Allied Forces pressed further and further into the occupied countries and herein was a considerable problem.

All supplies were landed in Normandy and had to be brought along ever lengthening supply lines to where they were needed.

Something HAD to be done.

The Market Garden plan was simple. – The Allied XXX Corps planned to push 60 miles from the Belgian border (Code-name “Operation Market”) and link up with airborne troops (Code-name “Operation Garden”) of the 101st U.S. Airborne Division in the area to the north of Eindhoven and the 82nd U.S. Airborne Division in the Nijmegen area before reaching the British 1st Airborne Division at Arnhem.

The Airborne troops were to have been parachuted behind enemy lines to take and secure the bridges at Grave, Nijmegen and Arnhem – Which as history now tells us was “A Bridge Too Far”

Given here are details of the soldiers from Northern Ireland who fought and died at Arnhem.

James Frederick Boyd

Was from Portstewart and was serving with 1st Wing Glider Pilot Regiment of the Army Air Corps. He was 22 years old when he was killed in action on 23rd September 1944.

Charles Thomas Brackstone

A Glider Pilot with the Army Air Corps 2nd Wing. He was 23 years old and from Dundonald. Killed in action on 17th September 1944.

James Cameron

From Carrickfergus, Cameron was a Private in 21st Independent Parachute Company and was 22 years old when he died from wounds received at Arnhem.

Anthony Leslie Clarke

From Northern Ireland, he served with 1st Battalion Parachute Regiment, Army Air Corps and was killed on 24th September 1944.

Francis Dolaghan

Was from Belfast and was with Headquarters 4th Parachute Brigade when he was killed in action on 20th September 1944. He was 21 years old.

Robert Alexander Dougan

From Glenanne in County Armagh. He was killed in action on 17th September 1944 when he was 20 years old.

Sidney Ellis

A Belfast man, Ellis was with 1st Battalion Parachute Regiment Army Air Corps when he was killed on 18th September 1944.

John Mallon Hamilton

Another Belfast man, Hamilton was 26 years old and serving with 156th Battalion Parachute Regiment Army Air Corps. He was killed on 21st September 1944.

John Hunter

Was from County Antrim and 30 years old. He was a Sergeant with 1st Airborne Battalion, Border Regiment when he was killed on 20th September 1944.

Ernest Lynas

From Portadown, Lynas was a Lance Corporal with 156 Battalion Parachute Regiment Army Air Corps and was killed on 25th September 1944. A married man.

Ralph Alexander Maltby

A Lieutenant from Belfast. Maltby was Royal Artillery attached to 2nd Wing Glider Pilot Regiment Army Air Corps and was mentioned in Dispatches. He was killed on 17th September 1944.

John McClune

A Lance Corporal with 11th Parachute Battalion he was from Belfast and was killed on 24th September 1944.

Sidney Power

With 2nd Battalion, Parachute Regiment Army Air Corps. He was a Sergeant from County Armagh and was killed between 21st and 25th September 1944.

John Frederick Smellie

From Holywood and served with 1st Wing Glider Pilot Regiment. He was 30 years old when he was killed on 23rd September 1944.

George Tansley

With 156th Battalion Parachute Regiment Army Air Corps he was 29 years old when he was killed on 25th September 1944.

Joseph Walker

From Moira in County Down Walker was a Private with 1st Airborne Battalion Border Regiment and was 22 years old when he was killed on 18th September 1944.

All of the above are buried at Oosterbeek Airborne Cemetery while the two soldiers mentioned below are names on the Groesbeek Memorial

Samuel Patton Cassidy

From Belfast. He was serving with 7th Airborne Battalion Kings Own Scottish Borderers when he was killed on 21st September 1944.

James Houston

A Major was serving with Essex Regiment Parachute Regiment 3rd Battalion and was 32 years old when he was killed on 20th September 1944.

John Carson, (Younger Brother of Frank Carson)

John Carson was only 15 years old and serving as a Deck Boy on board S.S. Victoria City which was attacked by U-Boat U-140 on 2nd December 1940.

The ship was a straggler from Convoy HX-90 on it's was from New York via Halifax to London.

Struck under the bridge on the port side by one torpedo the ship sunk within 15 seconds with the loss of all 43 hands. Occurred Northwest of Ireland.

(Photograph and information from

Frank Carson

Frank was born in 1926 and grew up in the 'Little Italy' area of Belfast. 

He attended St Patrick's Elementary School and was once a choirboy at St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church on Donegall Street.

After working as an electrician and a plasterer at 18 years old he was called up for national service and volunteered for airborne forces.

He was sent to the Airborne Forces Depot based at Albany Barracks on the Isle of Wight for initial training. Afterwards Private Frank Carson undertook parachute training course B171 at RAF Ringway form 7 to 26 July 1945 where the Instructors’ report states: ‘Pte Carson. Good jumper. Boisterous. Unhesitant jumper. Normal reaction.’

Pte Carson was posted to the Holding Battalion before being posted to 3rd Parachute Battalion.

He served in Palestine and was involved in action wwhere he  was shot in the leg. He was also involved in clearing up the aftermath of the King David Hotel bombing in Jerusalem which he never forgot. (BBC photograph and Information from website)

Two Chelsea Pensioners in Belfast.

The two well turned out Gentlemen shown here are the world famous "Chelsea Pensioners" from the Royal Hospital at Chelsea.

They were photographed when attending a Football Match in Belfast.

Wing Commander Ken Mackenzie

Was from Belfast and joined 501 Squadron, Royal Air Force in October 1940 as a Hurricane Fighter Pilot.

He was responsible for destroying at least 7 enemy aircraft and in one case this was rather more spectacular than usual.

Mackenzie was hitting a Messerschmitt Bf109 when he ran out of ammunition however, not to be outdone, as the aircraft turned for France and safety he snapped off the tail of the enemy plane by slamming into it with his wingtip causing the German to fall into the channel!!

He was subsequently awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross "For his skill and gallantry"



Air Commodore Paddy Forsythe

Was from Belfast and enlisted in the Royal Air Force in September 1941 and in 1944 he joined 625 Squadron, Royal Air Force flying Lancaster Bombers.

He took part in the Dresden Raid on 13/14 February 1945 and was coned by searchlights on numerous occasions.

On one occasion the nose of his aircraft was hit by flak killing his bomb aimer however Forsythe was able to get the Lancaster home.

He had flown 32 bombing operations and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.


An official estimate quoted in April 1937 put the ratio of Army Recruits in Northern Ireland as 67 per 10,000 of the recruitable population.

This total is highly commendable when the corresponding figure for London is stated to be 31 per 10,000.


Around 28 Ulstermen flew with the Royal Air Force in the Battle of Britain.

Of these 7 were killed in the battle with a further 11 being killed before the end of the War.

Records show that, including Ground Crew, a total of 72 men and women from Northern Ireland died during the Battle of Britain.

On 26th July 2010 Flight Lieutenant Harry Clarke died aged 92 and the last of our Battle of Britain heroes.

Harry had attended school on the Ballygomartin Road in Belfast and joined the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve in July 1939, prior to the outbreak of War, aged 22.

The holder of the Air Efficiency Award he flew with 610 Squadron in Spitfire DW-D.

Listed below are details of some of these brave men:-

Sergeant S Ireland - killed July 12, 1940

Sergeant J.B Thompson - killed July 31, 1940

Squadron Leader A.D.J Lovell - killed August 17, 1945

Pilot Officer D Whitley - killed August 28, 1940

Pilot Officer A.W.V Green - killed September 11, 1940

Sergeant S.A Fenemore - killed October 15, 1940

Pilot Officer M.I.D Green - killed October 20, 1940

Wing Commander J.V.C Badger - killed June 30, 1941

Wing Commander K.W MacKenzie - survived the war

Squadron Leader W.W McConnell - survived the war

Sergeant V.H Skillen - killed March 11, 1941

Sergeant J.K Haire - killed November 6, 1940

Sub Lieutenant W Beggs - killed November 15, 1942

Flight Lieutenant M Cameron - survived the war

Sergeant T.C.E Berkley - killed June 14, 1941

Air Vice Marshal F.D Hughes - survived the war

Squadron Leader N.H Corry - survived the war

Flight Lieutenant H.R Clark - survived the war

Squadron Leader R.R Wright - survived the war

Sergeant J McCann - killed February 20, 1941

Wing Commander FV Beamish - went missing in action on a patrol over the English Channel 28 March 1942.

Sergeant J McAdam - killed February 20, 1941

Pilot Officer CR Montgomery - killed August 14, 1941

Royal Fusiliers Drowned on Lough Neagh

Two soldiers from 16th Battalion Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) were drowned in Lough Neagh on 18th September 1940.

The two victims were:-

John Cavanagh, Husband of M. Cavanagh of Canning Town.

He is buried in East London Cemetery, Plaistow in RC Section Grave 35367A.


Frederick Arthur Norris, whose body was not found and his name can be seen in Panel 9 Column 2 of the Brookwood Memorial.

William Joyce, otherwise known as "Lord Haw Haw" announced in radio broadcasts from Hamburg that there will be "Easter Eggs For Belfast" in relation to the Easter Tuesday Air Raid.

Major Geoffrey Malcolm Mercer Smallwood from Warrenpoint was awarded the Military Cross for three separate incidents in July and August 1944.

"Theirs Is The Glory" Film about Arnhem

The film "Theirs Is The Glory" was filmed with the participation of approx 200 British Servicemen, many of whom had taken part in the battle.

Filming started in August 1945 and on viewing the finished product it is very obvious that some of the main characters are from Northern Ireland.

One of the main players was Thommy Scullion who was from Ballymena and Sergeant Jack Bateman of the 10th Parachute Battalion from County Down.

Some of the scenes were filmed in Benedendorpsweg in Oosterbeek to the east of the Oude Kerk (The Old Church which may also be known as Lonsdale Church) and also inside the Elizabeth Hospital and lower Weverstraat.

The wooded area around the Hartenstein Hotel were also used for filming and the film can now be purchased inside the Airborne Museum in the same building! - Get yourself a copy as its well worth a view!

The film was directed by Brian Desmond Hurst, Northern Ireland’s greatest Film director of the 20th Century who was born in East Belfast and worked in a Linen Factory before joining the 6th Royal Irish Rifles in 1914. 

He later survived the slaughter of Gallipoli and in the 1930's became a film director. - Watch "Theirs is the Glory" to see him at his best!!

Lance Sergeant Shaw Herper from Castlewellan was awarded the Military Medal for his actions at Le Val, France in August 1944.

Royal Ulster Constabulary Officers who performed Heroics during the Blitz.

Constables William Brett, Alexander McCusker and Robert Moore won George Medals for their actions.

Brett and McCusker were trying to extinguish incendiary bombs when a High Explosive bomb landed and detonated nearby.

The blast blew McCusker through a door into a house and both officers were buried under debris from collapsing houses.

McCusker extracted himself and rescued a boy who was trapped in the debris.

The citation says "The two Constables displayed bravery and devotion to duty in face of great danger and disregarded their own injuries until they had done all in their power to rescue the casualties" - The Medals were awarded on 19th September 1941.

Robert Moore dug through debris and sawed through planks to rescue a family of 3 including a child of about 11 years whose clothes were on fire. He put the flames out with his bare hands and in doing so was himself badly burned.

Royal Ulster Constabulary officers training with Webley .38 Revolver in 1941. (Life Magazine photograph)

Sergeant William George Malcolm from Belfast serving with 11th Royal Tank Regiment was awarded the Military Medal for his actions on 1st November 1944 during the landing at Walcheren.



Leading Aircraftsman Albert Matthew Osborne from Belfast won a posthumous George Cross for his actions on Malta in 1942.

Sir John Gorman

2nd Lt John Gorman won a Military Cross with 2nd Battalion, Irish Guards in Normandy on 18 July 1944, near Cagny.

He was in his Sherman tank when he was faced by a German "King Tiger" tank. Gorman's tank fired a shot which bounced off the Tiger's thick armour. The Sherman's gun then jammed before a second shot could be fired, and so Gorman rammed the Tiger as it was rotating it's 88mm gun to fire at his tank.

In the collision both tanks were disabled and the crews bailed out.

Lieutenant Gorman returned to the scene in a commandeered Sherman Firefly and destroyed the King Tiger. He was awarded the Military Cross for his actions, while the driver from his own crew, Lance-Corporal James Baron, won the Military Medal.

(This picture of Sir John Gorman is from

Professor Flynn.

Professor Flynn, who was father of the famous Hollywood actor Errol Flynn, was In Charge of the Casualty Service for Belfast during the Blitz! He is shown here with his Wife. (Photograph from P.R.O.N.I.) Mater Hospital shown above as it looked in 1942. (Belfast Telegraph)

On 21st September 1944 the Inniskillings moved to capture Middlebeers in Holland and Sergeant Ralph Chalmers from Belfast won a Distinguished Conduct Medal.



Sergeant Thomas McAughtry from Belfast served with B Squadron North Irish Horse and was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for his actions in an attack on San Guistina in Italy.



Lt Henry Alan Brooke won the Military Cross with 10th Hussars on 23rd September 1944 at Marecchia, Italy.



Corporal James John Cunningham from Belfast won a Military Medal for a number of actions between September and 10th November 1944 serving with the North Irish Horse in the Italian campaign.



Lieutenant Ralf Alexander Maltby was from Belfast and served with the Glider Pilot Regiment. He had been commissioned into the Royal Artillery and was later awarded the “Order of the Patriotic War”  by the Soviet Government for his service in Russia.

Maltby had been Mentioned In Dispatches while attached to the R.A.F. and was killed on 17th September 1944. He is buried in Oosterbeek War Cemetery.



Sergeant James Barbour from Belfast won a Military Medal and in the same action Sergeant Thomas Moffatt Donaghy from Limavady won a Military Medal while supporting 6th Black Watch at Forli in Italy in November 1944.



Lance-Corporal James Murphy was from Belfast and served with 3rd Parachute Battalion.

He was awarded the Military Medal in April 1943 and was mentioned in Dispatches in September 1943.

Murphy was killed in action and is buried at Sedjenane.



Major Gordon Francis Bayliss M.B.E. from Belfast received a Military Cross for his actions at Ahaus on 3rd April 1945.



Lance Corporal Peter Vincent Donaghy from Moy was in the Royal Military Police and won a Military Medal on 17th March 1944 at the Anzio Beachead.



Sergeant Grenville William Ford from Limavady was serving with the R.A.S.C. when he won the Military Medal in Italy on 12/12 May 1944



Driver Samuel McCloskey from Belfast was an ambulance driver and won a Military Medal in Italy on 27th September 1944.

Sergeant Thomas Monteith, a Royal Irish Fusilier serving with 5th Battalion The Gold Coast Regiment of The Royal West African Frontier Force was from Ballymoney. He was awarded a Military Medal for his actions on 15/16 December near Point 273 Tinma West, Burma.



Lance Corporal Albert Thomas Mount from Keady, County Armagh was serving with the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry when he won the Military Medal as a Medical Orderly at Alamein on 24th October 1942.

Lt. Harry Christie from Belfast served with 2nd Inniskillings and won a Distinguished Service Order (For details see below) during the Sicily Campaign for his actions at Lemon Bridge in Sicily. He had earlier won the Military Cross (For details see above) and was sadly killed in action on 19th January 1944.

Such an award is rare for such a junior Officer. He commanded a Platoon in the fighting around the Simeto Bridgehead and knocked out several German tanks.

Regimental Sergeant Major William James Callwell, from Maguiresbridge in County Fermanagh and serving with 9th York and Lancaster Regiment was awarded a Military Cross for his actions at Yongon in Burma on 11/12 January 1945. When the Officer Commanding disappeared Callwell took command, rallied troops and used a Bren Gun until he was wounded.



Sergeant Arthur James McElroy from Enniskillen was serving with 3rd Irish Guards when he won a Distinguished Conduct Medal during a counter attack on enemy troops in a wood near the De Groote Barrier over the Meuse – Escaut Canal.

Having been wounded he personally shot and bayoneted several Germans and all the time shouted encouragement to Section Commanders and Guardsmen in his Platoon.



Major Edward Adair Clarke, From Lisburn, served with B Squadron 1st Derbyshire Yeomanry and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order for raids on German lines in Tunisia.



2nd Lt Harry Irwin, from Enniskillen was awarded the Military Cross for his actions in North Africa in 1943.



On 11th April 1943 Trooper George Edward Martin from Belfast cleared 12 T-Mines by hand from in front of his tank – He was awarded the Military Medal.



Captain James McGrath from Greyabbey in County Down won a Distinguished Flying Cross for Air Operations in Tunisia between 23rd and 26th April 1943.

Captain Robert Henry Reade from Broughshane in County Antrim won a Military Cross for “Courage and Dedication to duty above the average” when serving with the Royal Artillery in Burma between 6th and 23rd February 1944.

At the same time as above Sergeant William Adrian from Belfast won a Military Medal.



William Martin Jackson from Coleraine served with 6 Light Anti Aircraft Battery Royal Artillery and won a Military Cross as Fire Controller for “Oasis Force” at Jakara.



Sergeant Robert William Rollo from Newtownards won a Military Medal with 5 Light Anti Aircraft Battery serving at Tobruk for “Outstanding Qualities of leadership in most arduous conditions”



Private Michael John McGee, 7th Parachute Battalion, from Aughnacloy in County Tyrone won a Distinguished Conduct Medal for his actions attacking a Panther tank on 6th June 1944 at River Orne in Normandy when he disabled the tank which threatened his Platoon position by attacking it with a Bren Gun! The Germans were so shocked they stopped the tank which was then put out of action with hand held bombs. Sadly Private McGee was wounded and died from his wounds later the same day.



On 9th June 1944 Captain Jim Montgomery from Belfast and serving with 2 Royal Ulster Rifles won a Military Cross during the capture of Cambes.



In the same action Rifleman John Gilliland from Newtownards won a Military Medal and Regimental Sergeant Major Samuel Fleming from Belfast won a Military Cross.


Private Norman Arthur Dougan from County Armagh was a member of the 1st Parachute Battalion.

He enlisted while under-age at 15 years and 9 months!

Dougan served in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers before transferring to Airborne Forces with whom he served at Arnhem in “Operation Market Garden” and was one of those who were able to escape across the river in November 1944.



Rifleman Charles Feeny from Banbridge won a Military Medal for the attack on Sainte Honorine in July 1944.



Sergeant William John Maxwell from Belfast won a Military Medal on 23rd May 1944 at the Senger Line.



Private William Kerr of the 11th Parachute Battalion was from Belfast and had joined the Royal Ulster Rifles before transferring to Airborne.

He took part in “Operation Market Garden” and was wounded in action however was able to escape across the Rhine following the battle. He was awarded the Netherlands Bronze Cross and ended his Military Career as Sergeant Major.

In later life he became Governor of the famous Crumlin Road Gaol and then the Maze Prison and was awarded the M.B.E.

Number 76 Bomb Disposal Section, Royal Engineers were deployed to Northern Ireland on 28th February 1941.



Leonard Cheshire V.C.

In September 1940 a detachment of Whitley Bombers of 102 Squadron R.A.F. arrived at Aldergrove for a short tour of duty with one of the young pilots being Leonard Cheshire who was later to become the Commanding Officer of 617 Squadron, the famous "Dambusters” as well as winning the Victoria Cross.



On 22nd May 1941 H.M.S. Gloucester was sunk in the Mediterranean by continuous attack by enemy aircraft. Crew members who were killed included:-

Able Seaman George McCleery from Belfast

Leading Seaman Daniel McKay from Knock, County Down

Boy 1st Class Daniel Mooney from Ballycastle, County Antrim who was only 17 years old.

Robert Whyte from Ballykelly, County Londonderry

All of these men have no known grave and are remembered on the Plymouth Naval Memorial.



Pilot Officer Leslie Currie from Stormont in County Down was a pilot in 263 Squadron R.A.F. and was killed when his Westland Whirlwind was shot down into the English Channel in 1942. – Following his death his brother Clifford volunteered for the Royal Navy.



Frank McAleer was from Omagh, County Tyrone and a Sergeant in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. He won a Distinguished Conduct Medal in Tunisia in 1942 however sadly he was killed in action in May 1943.

Lt. Anthony Butler was from County Fermanagh and serving with 3 Commando during the invasion of Sicily when he was killed in action at Malati Bridge.

Royal Navy / Marines Personnel who went down with H.M.S. Hood


Leading Writer, Number P/MX 60040

Robert was born on 23 May 1919 in Tullyvery, County Down, Northern Ireland to parents Robert and Catherine Berner. The family lived in Killyleagh, County Down. He was 22 years old at the time of his loss. 


Lieutenant-Commander (E)

Date Joined Hood: 10 July 1939

John was born in 1908 to parents Robert and Eleanor Erskine. He was the husband of Nancy Erskine, of Holywood, County Down. Together they had one son.

John joined the Navy as a Midshipman (E) in January 1927 and was trained as an engineer at H.M.S. Vivid

He was promoted to Sub-Lieutenant (E) in March 1929. 

He served aboard H.M.S. Nelson from January to February 1931. 

He was promoted to Lieutenant (E) during this timeframe.This was followed by more engineering training at H.M.S. President, Greenwich from September 1931 to June 1933.

From September 1933 to August 1934 he was assigned to the battleship H.M.S. Rodney

His next assignment was to H.M.S. Colombo in the East Indies. He left the Colombo in July 1935. This was followed by additional training in 1935/1936. 

Following the training he joined the crew of H.M.S. Repulse (April 1936). He remained with her until February 1937. 

This was followed by an assignment as the Assistant Engineer Inspector at H.M.S. President, Greenwich. He was promoted to Lieutenant-Commander (E) during this timeframe (Oct 1938).

In July 1939 he joined the crew of Hood as her 2nd Engineering Officer. He was 33 years old at the time of his loss. 


Stoker Petty Officer, Number P/KX 79270

"Mickey", as he was known, was born on 20 March 1909 in Ballingstraid, Ballycastle, County Antrim.

He was the husband of Violet Glenn, of Southsea, Hampshire. A talented artist, he was well-known among Hood's company as the ship's unofficial cartoonist. 

He was also a member of the popular shipboard band "The Harmony Boys" and was 32 years old at the time of his loss. 


Plumber 3rd Class, P/MX 56977
Robert was born on 09 May 1912 in Lurgan.
He was a keen footballer and played for a few teams including Glenavon before joined the Navy in 1938.

Robert was 29 years old when he was killed.

Stoker 2nd Class. P/KX 116918
Robert was born on 23rd April 1917 in Inishrush, County Londonderry to William and Agnes Keenan. The family later lived in Portglenone, County Antrim.
He was 24 years old at the time of his loss.


Stoker Petty Officer, Number P/KX 75556

Date Joined Hood: 09 August 1939

Robert was born on 27 April 1903 in Londonderry to James and Margaret Kelly. He was the husband of Matilda Kelly, of Culmore, County Londonderry. 

He joined the Royal Navy on 21st January 1926. Robert was serving as an Acting Stoker Petty Officer(however, his family states that he was fully promoted as of 21 May 1941). He was 38 years old at the time of his loss. 


Petty Officer S & S. P/MX46844.

31 years old. Son of Michael and Hannah Lynch and Husband to Elizabeth Lynch of Limavady


Stoker 1st Class, Number: P/KX 104972
Daniel was born on 4th August 1919 in Kilpatrick, County Antrim. He was one of three children born to Patrick and Annie McCaughey and was 21 years old when he was killed.


A Marine with the Royal Marines. Number PO/X 3494

Ernest was born on 13 June 1921 to Robert and Ellen McQuaid, of Armagh, County Armagh, Northern Ireland. 

He served under the name "McQuade"and was a member of Hood's Number Four 4" gun crew.

Ernest was 19 years old at the time of his loss. 


Petty Officer. Number P/JX 143771

James was born on 25 October 1913 in Liverpool, England to David and Margaret O'Connell. The family would later live in Camlough, County Armagh. He was 27 years old at the time of his loss. 


Leading Cook (S), Number P/MX 59307

George was born on 17 January 1914 in Holywood, County Down to Robert and Margaret Shearer. The family later lived in Portrush, County Antrim, Northern Ireland. He was 27 years old at the time of his loss. 


Ordinary Seaman, Number P/JX 223842
Lambert Charles Shepherd was born on 28 February 1911 in Hale, Cheshire. He was the only son of Major Percy Shepherd and Mrs. Shepherd, Bangor, County Down.

On leaving Cambridge in 1933 he took up appointment on the editorial staff of the Belfast News Letter as a Reporter, Art and Dramatic Critic and Special Writer. 

He later moved to London to work on the staff of the Daily Mirror and then on the staff of the Evening Standard as sub-editor where he was working when war broke out in September 1939. 

In June 1939 he had married Iris Eunice Henry and shortly before their first wedding anniversary he obtained 48 hours' leave from his office. 

It only became known on his return that he had readily risked his life as a civilian volunteer to help man the rowing boats off the beach at Dunkirk. 

So keen was he to join the Royal Navy that he then studied in his spare time and obtained his yachtmaster's certificate in three months. 

In October 1940 he volunteered for the Royal Navy and was called up for war service. He initially served in H.M.S Collingwood as an Ordinary Seaman but joined H.M.S Hood in January 1941. 

He was 30 years old at the time of his loss.


Able Seaman, Number P/JX 127556

Tommy, as he was known, was born on 07 March 1911 to Robert and Mary Stewart, of Belfast. 

He is known to have had at least one sibling, a sister named May. He is known to have lived in Mess 23 aboard Hood.

Tommy was 30 years old at the time of his loss. 


Able Bodied Seaman P/JX 148611. 

23 years old Son of Mrs. Rebecca Stothers, Bloomfield Street, Belfast. 

Hugh was the Husband ofJ. Stothers from Hartlepool, Co. Durham. 


Royal Marines.Marine. PO/X 3647.

Charles had been Born in Ballee, Co Down. 


Able Seaman, P/UD/X 1551
Robert was born on 22 August 1920 to Robert and Susanah Watson, of Belfast, County Antrim, Northern Ireland. He was 20 years old at the time of his loss.

H.M.S. Hood was sunk by the Bismarck during the Battle of Denmark Strait on 24th May 1941 when only 3 of her 1418 Crew survived.

(Thanks very much to )



Pilot Officer Andrew Woodrow Dunn from County Londonderry.


Pilot Officer Andrew Dunn, Number 41685, received his Commission in 1939 and served with R.A.F. Bomber Command.

Flying as Co-Pilot of Whitley N1384 on the night of 20th / 21st March 1940 they were on an operation to Cambrai but had a forced landing in Allied Occupied territory.

A few months later on 5th / 6th June 1940 Dunn was Pilot of Whitley N1476 when a Flare ignited within the aircraft as it was taking off and while his Crew bailed out Dunn landed safely at R.A.F. Finningley.


With no change of luck he was on an operation to bomb bridges over the river Somme on 9th / 10th June when his starboard engine failed however he was able to crash land at R.A.F. Abingdon.


Ten days later Dunn and Sergeant Bernard Leonard Savill were again flying Whitley N1476. On this occasion they were on a raid to Wanna-Eickel which is between Essen and Dortmund when they were attacked by enemy aircraft resulting in injuries to the Wireless operator and Air Gunner.

The Whitley gunners subsequently destroyed one of the enemy however the port engine of their Whitley was now on fire and Dunn tried to reach England but was forced to ditch in the sea near Hastings.


Following this action Dunn was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. The Rear-Gunner, Pilot Officer W.J.Watt also received the Distinguished Flying Cross. Sergeant Savill and another Non-Commissioned Officer received Distinguished Flying Medals.

The Citation reads:-

"These officers and airmen were the crew of an aircraft, piloted by Pilot Officer Dunn, and detailed to carry out a bombing attack on the Ruhr one night in June 1940. After being subjected to heavy anti-aircraft fire for some fifteen minutes, during which their aircraft was repeatedly hit, they were attacked by a Messerschmitt 109. The first attack disabled the inter-communication gear and also wounded the air observer, Sergeant Savill, and the wireless operator, Sergeant Dawson. The rear gunner, Pilot Officer Watt, was unable to warn the captain of the enemy fighter's second attack but, by quick reaction and skill in aiming, he delivered a good burst of fire at short range which destroyed the enemy. During this second attack, however, one engine was disabled. Despite these difficulties the target was successfully bombed before a course was set for home. For three and a half hours the aircraft, flying on one engine, steadily lost height until the North Sea was crossed at only 400 feet. During this time, the navigation was ably carried out by Sergeart Savill, despite the pain from his wound, while Sergeant Dawson, operating his wireless apparatus, secured a number of essential homing bearings, thus materially assisting in assuring the safety of the crew. Pilot Officer Montagu, who was the second pilot, made necessary preparations for abandoning the aircraft and his personal example of coolness and efficiency was of the greatest assistance to his captain. Pilot Officer Dunn displayed resolution, courage and determination in piloting his badly damaged aircraft, but was forced to land in the sea close to the south coast. This crew showed the greatest determination, courage and gallantry throughout the operation."


On 10th / 11th September 1940 Pilot Officer Dunn was again flying with Sergeant Savill and they left R.A.F. Linton-on-Ouse at 23.00 on an Operation to Bremen.

Although able to complete the mission the aircraft was hit by Flak causing damage to the front turret however they were able to land safely at 07.30.


Two weeks later on the night of 23rd / 24th September Pilot Officer Dunn was flying Whitley P5046 on an operation to Berlin.

On leaving the target the crew signalled that they were in difficulty and the last known position of the aircraft was approximately 80 Miles from the East coast of England. - It appeared that the aircraft had ditched.


The following day a dinghy was sighted by a Flying Boat and a further two days later it was found containing Sergeant Allen and Sergeant G.H. Riley who was barely alive when rescued and immediately taken to Hospital.

Sadly it was too late for Sergeant Allen who was just 19 years old when he died. He is buried in Farnham Cemetery, Surrey.


The bodies of Pilot Officer Andrew Woodrow Dunn DFC, Second Pilot, Sergeant Derek Albert Gibbons and Observer, Sergeant Bernard Leonard Savill DFM were all buried at Sea.



Sir Basil McFarland, The Mayor of Londonderry, had turned 40 years old on 18th February 1938 but one of those who joined 9th Anti-Aircraft Regiment in 1939. During the First World War he had served in the Artists Rifles (Later to become part of the Special Air Service) and during the Second World War he rose to command 25 Heavy Anti Aircraft Battery and served in Egypt, Sudan, Palestine, Libya, Italy (Where he was Mentioned in Dispatches at Salerno) and back in the United Kingdom.



John Vincent Clarence Badger was from Lisburn and served with the Royal Air Force which he joined in 1931. As a Hurricane pilot he had shot down 6 enemy aircraft before dying of injuries received in battle on 30th June 1941. Badger was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.



Desmond Whyte, from County Down had qualified as a Doctor at Queens University, Belfast and served with R.A.M.C. He served in the Middle East and Burma where, in 1944 whilst serving with “The Chindits” he was recommended for the Victoria Cross but received the D.S.O. instead. He had previously been “Mentioned In Despatches”

Royal Marine Sergeant Samuel Trimble was on H.M.S. Achilles acting as spotter for where the guns shells landed to correct range. During the Battle of the River Plate with the Graf Spee he won the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal.

“Stood fast without flinching or complaint throughout the hour of action that followed, bearing his wounds with great fortitude. When the Medical party came he helped them to move the (other) wounded and then made his own way to Sick Bay with little aid”



The sinking of the Royal Oak at anchor in Scapa Flow on the night of 13 / 14 October resulted in the deaths of six Ulstermen including Leading Seaman Andrew Wallace, who was 20 years old and from Florencecourt in County Fermanagh. Sadly his parents were to suffer another loss when his brother George, who was a Leading Telegraphist on H.M.S. Indefatigable was also killed in 1945.



Sub Lieutenant John Tillie from Londonderry, and son of the famous shirt manufacturing family company, was serving on H.M.S. Hotspur when he won the Distinguished Service Cross

“Though himself wounded, he rallied the survivors from his two guns’ crews and opened rapid and accurate fire on the enemy, causing them to keep their distance until H.M.S. Hostile and H.M.S. Havock could return to cover H.M.S. Hotspur’s withdrawal”

John Tillie was later awarded a bar to his D.S.C. for action in the Mediterranean however sadly he was later killed in action in September 1942.