Langford Lodge A.A.F. 597
The picture below is From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation. Many of the photographs which are shown in this section come from this Yearbook (Thanks to Will Lindsay)
Langford Lodge May 2010.
Langford Lodge seen from the Southeast. (IWM Photograph) My photograph above shows the taxiway which is centre right in the upper picture.
The photograph below is taken from the opposite direction and shows a large number of aircraft sitting on dispersals around the site in August 1944. (Ernie Cromie)
A selection of aerial photographs of Langford Lodge (Thanks very much to Will Lindsay)
Two photographs above show construction of Batch Plant and Main Boiler House in October 1942.
(From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
On looking at the old photograph above I believe my 3 pictures here are of the same building.
The Power Station. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Store Buildings September 1942.
(From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Two photographs above show construction of Engine Test Stand and Administration Building which is again shown in two pictures below.
(From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Footprints left by workers in wet concrete.
Architects Office (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
This picture shows a Technician of Lockheed Overseas Corporation operating the controls of an Engine Test Stand at Langford Lodge on 5th March 1943.
Another view of the Engine Test Stand is seen below
Storage in Hangar 1 September 1942. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Propeller Class. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Masses of Stores were retained at Langford Lodge. Shown here are the Offices then Automotive, Subsistence and Automotive Fuels and Oils Stores.
The Automotive Garage is shown below.
Engineering in Hangar 111 (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Time Clock Station for Hangars 1 to 4 (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
B-24 Liberator aircraft on Hangar 1 to 4 Apron. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Hangar 6 as it looked in September 1942. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
The six photographs above show activties taking place within Hangar 6
The 8th Air Force sign painted on the tank above is NOT original
My photographs above show what it looks like inside this huge Hangar.
General Eaker's Inspection is shown above with Generals Andrews, Miller and Hill below. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Industrial Relations Offices
Some new employees have just arrived above. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Considerable effort was put into Industrial Relations. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Local Employees with transport to Belfast
Hangar 10 shown at Noon above and a Hangar 10 Party below. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Tree carvings near the location of the old Langford Hodge House. The reverse Swastika on the left would suggest this dates frin the Second World War whilst the one on the right is Royal Air Force dating from 1952 and 1953.
Officers in Langford Lodge. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Langford Lodge Control Tower
The Control Tower at Langford Lodge under construction in 1942. (From Fold 3. The Control Tower photograph below was taken by Al Nance of the U.S.A.A.F. in 1944)
Here are some photographs I have taken of the Control Tower at Langford Lodge.
The second picture clearly shows the Slanted windows which were designed to prevent glare from sunshine temporarily blinding pilots.
The final view is from the opposite side of the building as previous. (Old photograph from Ulster Aviation Society)
Lockheed Overseas Corporation Fuelling Trucks. (Thanks to Al McCann) ****PLEASE DO NOT COPY****
(Thanks very much to Will Lindsay)
General Eisenhower's Caravan HQ Built at Langford Lodge
WHEN General Eisenhower was following the Troops across Europe following D-Day he did so in a specially equipped Caravan which had been constructed at Langford Lodge by the Lockheed Overseas Corporation.
It was important for him to maintain close contact with the various advancing Armies and he did so, as well as maintaining direct telephone communication with Supreme Allied Headquarters in London, from a three-unit trailer caravan which he referred to as his "Circus Wagon"
The floor of the caravan had polished black linoleum, grey walls and green-leather upholstered furniture.
It took less than 60 days for the construction of the Trailers, which were 60 feet long, to be completed following the placement of the order and it is worthy of note that it was in this caravan that General Eisenhower spent the night of 5th / 6th June 1944 whilst Allied Airborne Troops were landing by both Parachute and Glider in Normandy at the beginning of Operation Overlord.
One of the visitors to this Caravan was Winston Churchill.
Mr G.V. Russel, who was a Lockheed Engineer, had designed the Caravan along with the Equipment layout and careful consideration was given to the use of the Caravan for living quarters as well as an Operational Headquarters.
Conference Tables along with Maps and even a screen on which to project reconnaissance films were all included as well as separate sleeping and eating quarters and an office.
A Bunk Bed, Kitchenette, Shower and Chemical Lavatory were all included and whilst there were no windows an Air Conditioning system was included.
(For More Information visit http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/3rd-november-1944/30/general-eisenhowers-trailer-headquarters which is available to EVERYONE.)
(Thanks very much to Will Lindsay) Shown below is a Mobile Unit
Belfast Blitz Orphans at Langford Lodge
The Belfast Blitz Orphaned children shown on the left are taxied up and down the runway at Langford Lodge. They were among 15 children, shown above, who were guests of Lockheed Overseas Corporation American Technicians.
Left to Right are Robert R, Albert Q, Jean T, Annie and Miss Netta Heaslip of the Belfast Council For Social Welfare. April 1943.
All 15 of the children are shown in this photograph and in each case they had lost their parents in the Bombing Raids on Belfast.
Workers from the Lockheed Overseas Corporation at Langford Lodge raised $6,500 to help the children and this was lodged in a Trust Fund for the children when they reached 18 years of age.
This photograph was sent to Mr Ernie Cromie of the Ulster Aviation Society by Anneliese Ogden whose Father was the General Manager at Langford Lodge from 1942 until 1944.
(Photograph on left from Fold3 and above from Belfast Telegraph)
Langford Lodge at Christmas
The arrival of Christmas Mail. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Leisure at Langford Lodge
The P.X. Store. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
The Library (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
The Barber Shop (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Shown above is road construction near the cinema with my photograph below showing from the opposite side.
Construction of the Bowling Alley is seen above with the finished item below.
Shown above is the Amertex Baseball team with the depot Engineering Baseball Team below. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
This is the Amertex Basketball Team (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
There were numerous types of sport available.
Joe Louis Visits Langford Lodge
This is Joe Louis at Langford Lodge in 1944. He was the Heavyweight Boxing World Champion in consecutive years from 1937 until 1949.
(Ulster Aviation Society Photograph)
Swimming in a Static Water Tank. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Shown here is Nit-Wit teh Interhut Broadcasting Studio! (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Working Life at Langford Lodge
Here we see inside the Mess Hall at Langford Lodge as it looked on 5th March 1943 with Ice Cream being made below. (Fold 3 Photograph which is available to EVERYONE)
Tea Time for both U.S. Servicemen and the Women in the Production Shops.
Below is an L.O.C. Technician who is wearing the Lockheed Overseas Corporation cloth patch as shown here. (From Forgotten Airfields website)
Engineering Files and Drawings in Langford Lodge are shown on the left with the Laundry and Dry Cleaning Room on the right as well as immediately above.
(Thanks very much to Margaret for the pictures shown above)
Below is painting "Repair Crew on a Thunderbolt at Langford Lodge" by Robert Taylor Carson (From Artnet)
The arrival of the first Lockheed P-38 Lightning on 11th November 1942 is shown below.
Shown below is a Lockheed P-38 Lightning being carefully transported along Largy Road towards Langford Lodge. With everyone looking very busy this appears to have been a posed photograph. (L.O.C. Photograph)
Bermuda aircraft in Hangar Two. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Lockheed P-38 Lightning aircraft. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress aircraft. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Hangar Construction. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
B-24 Liberator aircraft in Hangar 5 above with a B-17 at the hangar entrance below. This aircraft is from R.A.F. Coastal Command. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Shown above is inside Hangar 7 with Building 21 below. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Shown above is Building 22. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Above is inside Building 21. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Inside Hangar 7 (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Shown above is a Drop Hammer with Woodshop production taking place below.
The Sheet metal Shop is seen above with the Rubber Shop below. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
A Lockheed Technician prepares a tyre for recapping at Langford Lodge on 5th March 1943.
Maintenance Shop (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Depot Engineering Party shown above and below. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Working within Hangar 10
The Parachute Building
Rows of Lightning aircraft sitting at Langford Lodge. (Media.defense.gov picture) Church can be seen in the background of this picture (Lockheed Overseas Corporation)
The Mess Hall is shown to be busy and the Accommodation can best be described as Cramped.
A B-24 Liberator can be seen in the centre of the picture above whilst trees are being cleared all around for the development of the Airfield.
On the right are a row of Thunderbolts beside one of the Hangars at Langford Lodge.
(The pictures above are from the BBC Website and Tailwind)
Entertaining the Personnel at Langford Lodge
E.N.S.A. Show (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
U.S.O. Show (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Al Jolson is shown at a U.S.O. Show above and below (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Above are "Yvette and her G.I. Gang" who arrived at an unspecified Air Base to entertain the Airmen.
The men are front left to right Private Peter Chichetti of Tuxedo, New York, Private Stefan Krayk of Chicago, Illinois, Private First Class Allen Tonken of Somerville, New Jersey, Private Carmen Montone of Auburn, New York, Private E.C. Happy-Norman of Los Angeles, California.
Back Row - Private Walter Nutter of Lake Placid, New York, Private Russell Padrich of Lomberville, New Jersey, Private Eddie Kas of Loraine, Ohio, Captain D.R. Kenzie of Middlesboro, Massachusetts, Special Services Officer, Private Tom Joha of Milwaukie, Wisconsin, Miss Yvette of Birmingham, Alabama, Staff Sergeant Hal Craig of Vermont, Massachusetts, Captain Bernard Szold of Holywood, California, Officer in Charge of Tour, Private Bill J Weldon of McAlester, Oklahoma and Private William Bartos from Brooklyn, New York. The photograph was taken on 18th july 1943.
Bob Hope and Francis Langford (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
An A.R.C. Show is shown above with The Ranch Boys below (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Carol Landis is seen above with the interior of the "Proj-Ma" (Project Magnet) Hall below.
Some Backstage singing. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
The Jive Bombers are shown above with the Rhythm Pilots below!
This is an Identification Card which was issued by Lockheed Overseas Corporation to it's Employees who worked at Langford Lodge.
This particular I.D. Card was issued to Charles H. Stover. (BBC Photograph)
Identity Card shown above with Dog Tags shown below. (Thanks very much to Will Lindsay)
Workers receive their first "Time Cards" (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Butch Messer's 10 Years Award Party is shown above with Transportation Department Safety Award below.
Engineering and Inspection Safety Award below
Armistice Day 1942
Gartree Church and Glenn Miller
Gartree Church of Ireland church was built by the Packenham Family (Of which a number became Generals in the British Army) in 1832 and their family pew still remains complete with its fireplace!
The Church is situated at Largy Road, Crumlin within what was United States Army Air Force Station 587 at Langford Lodge.
In the summer of 1942 a pedal organ was presented to Gartree by the 8th Army Air Force whose Chaplain Reverend Norman Nygaard preached at a service in Gartree on 7th February 1943.
It is said that Glenn Miller worshipped in the church and played the organ on Sunday 13th August 1944 at a time when he was travelling around entertaining U.S. Personnel.
He had played in the camp cinema known as the “Project Magnet Hall” to an audience of 750 after earlier performing at the Plaza Ballroom in Central Belfast which had become the American Red Cross Club.
It was only a few weeks later that the aircraft in which Glenn Miller was travelling was lost over the English Channel.
The final picture above shows Glenn Miller with a Trumpet standing outside the Library Building at Langford Lodge on the same day he played the Organ at Gartree Church. (Ulster Aviation Society Photograph)
Glenn Miller photographed in Northern Ireland. (BT Photograph)
Major Glenn Miller conducting his Band during an Open Air Concert. (U.S. Air Force Photograph)
American Band of the American Expeditinary Force at PROJ-MA Hall, Langford Lodge with Glenn Miller playing Trombone. (Thanks very much to Will Lindsay)
Langford Lodge Railway Halt
Photographs above and below show the Marshalling Yards in October 1942. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
These photographs show Workers, who have just got off a Train at Langford Lodge Railway Halt, making their way through Security onto the Site.
(Thanks very much to Al McCann. and Belfast Telegraph Photograph below) ****PLEASE DO NOT COPY****
Langford Lodge Runway
This is one of the Runways at Langford Lodge.
It is difficult to make out the numbers which have faded as the years have passed. I believe it is either 02, 03 or 08.
The two photographs above show Runway Storage in September 1942 with surfacing of the Runway taking place in September of 1943 in the picture below.
Air Ministry Constabulary at Langford Lodge
Group photograph taken on 6th April 1945 with four U.S. Air Force personel in the front row.
Langford Lodge Aircraft
Thunderbolt aircraft arriving at Langford Lodge is shown on the left with the picture on the right showing a large number of Bombers located at Langford Lodge.
In the second picture you can see a few other twin and single engined aircraft as well as a Trench System which would probably have been for shelter from any bombing.
The aircraft shown above - 42-102446 became known as "Little Chub" and served with 384th Bombardment Group based at Grafton Underwood, Northamptonshire.
On April 24, 1944 Little Chub was among aircraft on a raid to the Dornier aircraft works at Oberphaffenhofen, Germany.
Attacked by fighters over the Stuttgart area Bombardier, Lieutenant Jesse Greenebaum, was wounded by 2 20mm shells however things were to get much worse.
Whilst preparing for a crash landing near Lake Greifensee in Switzerland Little Chub was attacked by 3 Swiss fighters and in a second attack, Fritz Kolb, a Swiss pilot flying a French-built Morane fighter, fired 2 rockets as a warning, which went unnoticed. He then attacked the plane, which immediately caught fire and plummeted into the lake.
Five of the crewmembers drowned. Two of the wounded crewmen were killed by the Swiss attack and only 4 of the Crew survived to become Internees.
Lieutenant Bailey, who bailed out, was killed when his chute failed to deploy due to insufficient altitude.
Kolb did not know that "Little Chub," one of 14 handicapped B-17's that the Swiss had ordered to land on the airfield in Dubendorf that day, pulled away to allow the crew to jettison the ball turret. The pilot decided to circle waiting for the crew to bailout, hoping to belly-land in one of the nearby fields.
The Crew were:-
Pilot. Lieutenant Everett Bailey - Killed in Action.
Co-pilot: 2nd Lieutenant James Burry - Killed in Action
Bombardier: 2nd Lieutenant Jesse Greenbaum - Killed in Action
Ball turret gunner: Sergeant Anthony Melazzi - Killed in Action
Waist gunner: Sergeant Richard Sendlback - Killed in Action
Tail gunner: Sergeant Sidney Pratt - Killed in Action
Navigator: 2nd Lieutenant Charles Wallach - Survived Crash and was Interned.
Flight engineer/top turret gunner Staff Sergeant Raymond Newall - Survived Crash and was Interned.
Radio Operator: Staff Sergeant William Silag - Survived Crash and was Interned.
Waist gunner: Sergeant Dick Hollingsworth - Survived Crash and was Interned.
The photographs and Information here comes from the excellent www.384thbombgroup.com website
Another of the B-17 Flying Fortress aircraft in the background of the Group Photograph above is 42-102442 which went on to become "Swiss Miss" and is shown here.
Between 15th April 1944 and 7th July 1944 "Swiss Miss" was involved in 32 Combat Missions however the last one was to be catastrophic.
The Raid was to take place on 7th July 1944 and 42-102442 took off to attack an Aircraft Factory in Leipzig, Germany.
As 07.10 this aircraft was flying in the High Group of a large Formation when it entered heavy cloud requiring the Pilot to fly on instruments. Icing conditions were encountered.
"Swiss Miss" was being flown by 2nd Lieutenant Earl O. Anderson in position 5 with B-17 42-102442, which was being flown by Lieutenant Donald W. Bagby in number 4 position.
Both aircraft flew into cloud together and it is believed Lieutenant Andersons aircraft flew across the top of Lieutenant Bagby's aircraft with the propellers of Andersons aircraft cutting the nose section of Bagbys aitcraft whose propellers cut the tail section of Lieutenant Andersons aircraft.
Of the Crews of the two aircraft involved Eight of the nine in Andersons Crew were Killed with Six of thre nine in Bagby's Crew being Killed.
The Crash occurred approximately 1 1/2 miles North of Haverhill, Suffolk. (Picture and information from www.384thbombgroup.com)
The large hangar was built by personel from Lockheed Overseas Corporation and the development of the site was of such a scale that roadways and even a new railway line were built to service the base.
The picture above right shows four newly delivered B-17 aircraft parked at Langford Lodge in March 1944. (Photograph from "British Military Airfields" Book by David J. Smith)
Aircraft began arriving in November 1942 and soon BAD-1 A.A.F. 597 became the busiest airfield in Northern Ireland. - I believe the Control Tower was one of the first in the United Kingdon to incorporate angled windows to prevent glare from the sun. All of the Aircraft in these pictures are at Langford Lodge.
Much of the airfield remains and is operated by an engineering company as well as Martin Baker ejection seats. The land is farmed with the farmer now using the Lockheed hangar to store his machinery and the old camp hospital is a sturdy cowshed. The Church is open on Sundays.
The B-24 Liberator Bomber "Scorpio" is photographed at Langford Lodge however it went on to serve with the15th Air Force and was lost on 2nd March 1945.
B-24 Liberator 41-23699 "Suzy Q" at Langford Lodge in Spring 1943 (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Lieutenant Reginald H. Philips and his Crew are shown below. They had flown on a low level raid to Ploesti on 1st August 1943 and returned safelt to Libya. (From www.americanairmuseum.com )
This aircraft was later named "Lemon Drop" and became an "Assembly Ship" for 44th Bombardment Group, 68th Squadron
41-23699 was finally scrapped on 1st June 1945. (Picture from www.vintagewings.ca)
Lockheed P-38 Lightnings at Langford Lodge aircraft depot, January 1944 with a 'Droop Snoot' Lockheed P-38 Lightning being prepared for run up, on the apron adjacent to Hangar No.5 at Langford Lodge.
Lockheed P-38 Lightning "F.U.B.A.R."
The photograph above is referred to in the excellent www.americanairmuseum.com. The particular aircraft is believed to be "F.U.B.A.R." (F***ed Up Beyond All Recognition) and is being "Run Up" in front of Hangar Number 5 at Langford Lodge after being converted to a "Droop Snoot"
Shown below are 2 more photographs of F.U.B.A.R. (From www.americanairmuseum.com)
Lockheed P-38 Lightning shown with engines running. Note the R.A.F. Douglas A-20 beside it.
Above is a Lightning with A-20 and note the Willys Jeep marked "LOC" for Lockheed Overseas Corporation.
This picture shows a P-38 Lightning having it's Drop Tanks filled with Fuel. (Media.defense.gov)
(Fold 3 Photograph of Lightnings at Langford Lodge)
Factory fresh B-17 Flying Fortesses, a B-24 Liberator, and possibly a Waco CG-4A, on the flight test strip at Langford Lodge on 13th April 1944.
B-17 '2107151' was recorded at Grenier Field, New Hampshire on 7 April 1944 en route to the UK. It went to the 401st BG, (coded IW-B) acquired the name 'Cover Girl' and survived the war.
'2102518' went to the 384th BG (coded JD-K) and was salvaged in Germany towards the end of 1945, bearing the name 'Damn Yankee'.
'2106992' went to the 401st BG,(coded SC-D) acquired the name 'Baby Lu' Her name was augmented by the Vargas artwork from the Esquire magazine centerfold, "Pistol Packin' Mama." Survived the war.
'2107084' was also assigned to the 401st BG (coded IW-G) and nicknamed "Betty's Revenge." She was lost 7 October 1944 over Politz; the navigator, bombardier & radio operator were all KIA.
The furthest aircraft B-17G 42-97664, joined the 401st BG on 17 April 1944. Coded IY-F, she was nicknamed "Aw, Come On." She also served with the 612th Bomb Sq (re-coded SC-X) and had completed 45 missions by the war's end. (Visit http://www.americanairmuseum.com/for more)
Langford Lodge in 1944. (Thanks to Hugo at ARG.)
The Thunderbolt P-47C 41-6254 HV-Y “Bashful” crashed on 18 May 1944 with pilot Henry F Glass, 312 Fighter Squadron 27th Fighter Group. The artwork of Bashful can still be seen on the right cowling.
Langford Lodge on 6 July 1944. 42-7870 "Pappy" was coded LM-R when with the 56th Fighter Group and assigned to Major Horace C. "Pappy" Craig.
George T Langford was the Pilot with 312th Ferrying Squadron when the accident shown here occurred.
(From the excellent Website "Little Friends" at http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/)
In the following picture 42-7870 is shown with different Nose Art. (For more visit http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/P-47D/)
The Pilot of this C-47 41-7837 lost control on landing at Langford Lodge on 27th October 1942. (From http://www.aerialvisuals.ca)
On 25th July 1943 B-17F 42-3414 "Paddlefoot" was having guns installed within Hangar 2 at Langford Lodge when the Technician pulled the trigger and discharged a number of bullets, four of which struck B-17F 42-3433 starting a fire within the aircraft!
After repair the aircraft was named "Lena" and assigned to 350th Bombardment Squadron however it was shot down over Lambeck.
Seven of the Crew survived with the remaining three going down with the aircraft including 2nd Lieutenant Robert P. Kramer who is shown here on his wedding day with his wife Leona
This Thunderbolt P-47D 42-74643 was one of a flight of 4 Thunderbolts which arrived at Langford Lodge on 2nd October 1943.
With the undercarriage only extended one third the aircraft touched down and the wheels collapsed while the propeller struck the runway.
Restored Thunderbolt on display at Portrush Air Show
Langford Lodge Aircraft
B-17G 42-39809 was involved in an incident at Langford Lodge on 8th November 1943 after arriving from nearby Nutts Corner when the right Landing Gear collapsed whilst taxiing.
On 22nd February 1944 42-39809 was on a bombing mission to Oschersleben, Germany when it was shot down with the loss of Lieutenant Joseph Calvin, Co-Pilot, who was Killed on his 3rd mission.
The other Crew Members, LT Raymond L. McDonald (Pilot), LT W.L. Kontur (Navigator), LT George H. Bean (Bombadier), SGT David Gabriel (Tail Turret), SSGT Le Pierce (Radio Operator), SSGT Richard Egger (Ball Turret), SSGT Anthony Franzo (Waist Gunner), SSGT Rufus T. Odom (Waist Gunner), SSGT Robert Egger (Turret Gunner) all became Prisoners of War.
The crew was particularly unusual in that two of its members, Richard and Robert Egger, were brothers, and served together aboard the same aircraft.
They are shown in the two photographs here.
(For more information please visit http://384thbombgroup.com/)
On 19th January 1944 B-17G 42-38053 was flying from Goose Bay, Canada to Nutts Corner Airfield when the crew realised there was a problem with the Landing Gear.
The Right Gear would not lower so the aircraft diverted to Langford Lodge and after ditching the Ball Turret into Lough Neagh and burning off most of his fuel a successful "Wheels-Up" Landing was carried out causing only minor damage.
42-38053 subsequently served with the name "Cap'n Crow" which was in a form up accident over their base on 7 May 1944 when preparing to fly to Berlin. The aircraft had flares stored in the top turret which exploded and the pilot ordered the crew to bail out but sadly 5 of the Crew lost their lives.
(For more information please visit http://www.americanairmuseum.com)
Lockheed Lightning F-5C 42-67105 was being Flight Tested at Langford Lodge on 22nd January 1944. On landing the aircraft skidded off the end of the runway and nosed over causing damage to engines, propellers, nose gear and the nose section of the aircraft.
Sadly this was not the last accident to involve this aircraft. It went to 9th Air Force on 30th April 1944 and was with 33rd Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron the following month.
On 31st May 1944 the aircraft crashed on Banstead Downs Golf Club in Surrey, England killing the Pilot Lieutenant Andrew L Jackson.
An eyewitness reported that the aircraft "burst into a mass of flames and most of the parts of the machine were flung forward and some backwards."
(For more please visit http://www.33rdprs.photorecon.org).
On 20th April 1944 B-17G 42-102416 was in the circuit over Nutts Corner airfield however the Pilot could not extend his Left Wheel so he diverted to Langford Lodge for an Emergency Landing.
Guns were removed and the Ball Turret dropped into Lough Neagh before the Landing was attempted.
All engines were cut before touch-down and no injuries were sustained.
This aircraft became "Lady Luck" and John A Miller, a waist gunner of the 100th Bomb Group is shown here wearing his A-2 Flying Jacket decorated with the nose art of the B-17 Flying Fortress he flew in, B-17 (serial number 42-102416) nicknamed "Lady Luck".
This aircraft was subsequently assigned to 349Bomber Squadron, 100Bomber Group based at Thorpe Abbotts on 19th April 1944 but was hit by Flak at Saint Lo on 25th July 1944.
The Crew on this Mission was Larry Townsend, Co-pilot: Andy Burkhart, Navigator: Arnold Holmes, Bombardier: George Gardner, Radio Operator: Lou Glasser, Ball turret gunner: Chalmers Anderson, Waist gunner: Gordon Lane,Tail gunner: Earl Milam with Flight engineer/top turret gunner: Walt Kolar.
All the Crew parachuted from the aircraft and the first eight named here became Prisoners of War whilst Kolar evaded capture and joined a U.S. Army Tank Crew!!
(For more information visit http://www.americanairmuseum.com/)
On 12th August 1944 B-24D 41-29528 landed at Langford Lodge from B.A.D.2 at Wharton in England. On touching down the aircraft swerved to the right and rad off the runway onto soft ground causing the nose wheel to collapse.
41-29528 is shown here as "Ole Andy of Kansas" and is pictured at Herrington, Kansas in March 1944 just a few months before the crash at Langford Lodge.
(Visit http://www.487thbg.org/Photos/OleAndyofKansas.shtml for more)
Shown on the left is a C-47 carrying General Frank which was the first to land on Langford Lodge's newly constructed runway.
B-24 Liberator "Q For Queenie" declared War Weary and salvaged at Langford Lodge on 11th November 1944.
Flying Fortress B-17 42-31140 shown in storage at Langford Lodge. On looking at the picture you will see "WW" painted on the tail - This refers to "War Weary" (From William Lindsay's excellent book "Wartime Langford Lodge")
Liberator B-24D 42-40068 is shown above in action (From http://www.worldwarphotos.info). On 20th April 1943 this aircraft had taken off from Langford Lodge to travel to England however shortly after take-off all the engines stopped and the Pilot, Lieutenant Elmer Reinhart crash landed into a field near R.A.F. Aldergrove.
Sadly the Radio Operator, Technical Sergeant Roger A. Maillett was killed.
At the time it was called "Lynn Bari" however as can be seen from the photograph above this aircraft was subsequently repaired and went into action.
B-24 Liberator "Old Blister Butt" salvaged War Weary at Langford Lodge on 29th May 1945.
Shown above is B-24 Liberator 41-25459 "Bonnie" as seen from both sides along with her crew.
This aircraft served with 466th Bomb Group, 784th Bomb Squadron and was based at Attlebridge in Norfolk.
The Crew Photograph above shows:- Standing Left to Right: Calvin C. Owens (Pilot), John B. Stuart (CoPilot), William J. Schoefield (Navigator), Reginald D. Craig (466th BG Asst. Engineering Officer) Kneeling Left to Right: Robert Falk (Tail Gunner), Vincent DeGanna (Nose Gunner), George Yost (Waist Gunner), Roy Routh (Flight Engineer), Bill J Myers (Waist Gunner), David Ernst (Radio Operator).
This crew was shot up badly on their 4th mission together, 11 April 1944 and they never flew together as a crew again.
Schoefield and DeGanna were transferred to the Joseph Hayes Crew (Crew #406). George Yost was transferred to the Walter Hoyle Crew (Crew #402). Robert Falk joined the Frank Cotner Crew (Crew #408) and was KIA when that crew was shot down on 29 April 1944. John B. Stuart has also joined the Cotner Crew. He survived the shoot down and was made POW. Owens was assigned to ground duties. He later returned to combat flying however first as a co-pilot on Crew #484, then taking over a pilot of this Lead Crew for 14 additional missions. Given that fact their should be no question about his ability or courage. Owens ended up being probably the only flying officer that was at Attlebridge from the first to the last day of the 466th BG's time there. (Information and photographs from www.americanairmuseum.com)
B-24 "Lonesome Polecat" at Langford Lodge in May 1945. (From Old Buckshots)
The De Havilland Mosquito Mk16, Serial Number NS-557 was serving with 802nd Reconnaissance Group and crashed on landing at Langford Lodge on 6th August 1944. It is shown here being hoisted onto a low loader truck.
(From the excellent book "Wartime Langford Lodge" by William Alan Lindsay)
The B-24 42-64473 shown above was unusual in that it has differing Nose Art on each side. "LOVER'S LANE" was on the port side and "YUVADIT" on the starboard side.
Repaired at Oulton between 7th and 17th August 1944 after landing there with
two engines feathered on returning on 5th August from a mission to Brunswick.
Salvaged war weary on 29th May 1945 at Langford Lodge.
Airspeed Oxford 4173.
This aircraft was being flown from Mount Farm, Dorchester to Langford Lodge on 28th April 1944.
First Lieutenant Robert W. Dideriksen of 381st Service squadron, United States Army Air Force was piloting the aircraft with First Lieutenant V.K. Davidson as Co-Pilot.
The aircraft had Captain W.J. Simon, Captain R.J. Savage and First Lieutenant R.R. Nelson as Passengers.
Having received permission from the Control Tower to land the aircraft touched down with too much speed and rather than coming to a safe stop it continued off the runway and crashed over some banking.
An enquiry identified Pilot Error with the aircraft touching down some distance from the runway threshold.
Less than two months later First Lieutenant Dideriksen was killed in action.
On this occasion he was flying a Photo Reconnaissance Spitfire in Northeast France when attacked by German aircraft and shot down.
(From the excellent book"Wartime Langford Lodge" by William Alexander Lindsay)
This B-26 Marauder 41-18289 was at Langford Lodge in 1944. It was nicknamed "Colonial Rebel" and is shown above when with 449 Bomb Squadron,322nd Bomb Group of the 9th U.S.A.A.F. during November 1943. (Information and picture from www.americanairmuseum.com)
A20 aircraft being scrapped during 1944 at Langford Lodge. (Thanks very much to Gillian Hilton)
With so many aircraft a crash was always a possibility (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Restored B-17 Flying Fortress
These photographs show a B-17 "Flying Fortress" which was a common sight in Northern Ireland during WW2.
Although primarily flown by the United States Army Air Force it is worthy of note that the B-17 was also flown from Aldergrove by 220 Squadron Royal Air Force.
The Nose Art on this aircraft is both "Sally B" and "Memphis Belle"
Here is a view of the inside of a B-17 and Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress aircraft on a Bombing Run during the War. (From U.S. Army in WW2 Pictorial Record)
Langford Lodge Hospital
General view of the outside.
Front Entrance as it looks now and when staff were gathered outside.
Reception Area immediately inside Front Door.
Looking along a Corridor with the windows looking on to the back of the Hospital and Wards to the right.
Christmas Party in the Hospital (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
The old Black and white picture below shows the Hospital from the rear looking towards the Airfield as it looked during WW2. Bob Hope is shown in the photograph above visiting the Hospital Block. (From Action Stations 7 book and Lockheed Overseas Corporation)
Langford Lodge Searchlight
This is a searchlight building which is located beside the shore of Lough Neagh.
This would have been a coastal type light and its purpose would have been to scan the waters of the Lough for anything which was approaching.
The mountings on the roof show that this "Defence Electric Light" would have been tripod mounted and may have been an 18 inch diameter Halls Light.
Please be aware that access to this building is via Loughview Road however it is restricted.
There is a Gate across the the laneway however a telephone number is given at the gate for contact purposes.
Light Anti Aircraft Battery, Langford Lodge
This appears to have been quite a substantial Light Anti Aircraft battery. It is situated on Bay Road close to Langford Lodge in the townland of Ballymacmary.
There appears to have been a number of gun positions with footpath access, which is now overgrown, through the hedge at Bay Road towards the remaining concrete.
At the bottom of the hill are more concrete positions where a building had been located and where vehicles could be left under tree cover.
The picture on the left shows a view from the bottom positions looking towards the Gun Positions which are also positioned under visual cover of trees.
Hut interior at Site 1. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Shown above is the Mens Club with the interior of the Ablution Block shown below.
Above is the entrance to Site Two. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Ablution Facilities shown above with Buildings at Site 2 being occupied below. You can see the grills at the top of the wall in my comparison picture.
Above is the interior of a Hut at Site two with the Static Water Tank shown below.
Langford Lodge Dispersed Living Quarters Site 3
One of the Ablution Blocks which remains
Site 5 Mess hall (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
These buildings are all at Dispersed Living Quarters Site 3 which, according to an old Site Plan, had over 40 buildings on this site alone!
The photographs above show that the large buildings were Ablution Blocks with Showers and Toilet Facilities.
Shown here is a Lister Bag at site 3. This was used to provide Drinking Water.
Langford Lodge Site 4
Site 4 Mess hall as seen from outside. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Memorial Day 1942 at Site 4 (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
This is an interesting area which was part of the huge Langford Lodge Complex.
On looking at a Site Plan of the Airfield these buildings are not specifically marked but are adjacent to what was known as Site 4.
This was where the single track railway line came to a halt at storage buildings and on looking at the photographs here this would have been on the opposite side of the large barn type building shown centrally.
Some of the buildings may have been used for decontamination or as electricity generator buildings with the large generator sitting on the floor as in the last picture.
Site 4 Officers Mess. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Langford Lodge Accommodation Site 5
Above is Site Five during construction.
This is a group of buildings which were used as accommodation for personel based at Langford Lodge. They appear to have been Dormitory type buildings with the relevant number above each singular access door.
One of the buildings may have been used as a Store or Armoury as there is a sturdy metal inner door which is shown here while all the windows in the accommodation have a small catch as seen in the last picture. This would have been used to ensure a blackout was maintained.
Managers Meeting anove with the Base Managers Wedding below. (From Lockheed Overseas Yearbook 1942 - 1943 by Lockheed Overseas Corporation thanks to Will Lindsay)
Langford Lodge Main Entrance
The main entrance for Langford Lodge was on the Largy Road adjacent to Number 37.
The lane immediately inside the Checkpoint and on the right in my photograph led to 12 Army Storage Sheds along with a Fire watcher Shed - All of these were supported by a Great Northern Railway branch line.
A photograph looking down this Lane from the site of the Storage Sheds is shown below. (My sincere thanks to Mrs Brown for her assistance. Lockheed Overseas Corporation Photographs)
American civilian technicians and U.S. Army personnel attend a Roman Catholic mission conducted by Father Thomas F. Keenan of Providence, Rhode Island at the Chaplain's office at an Air Force Depot in Northern Ireland.
No specific location given however it may very well have been at Langford Lodge. Photograph taken on 29 October 1943.
(Photographs above are from Fold 3 which is available to EVERYONE below:-https://www.fold3.com/s.php#query=Northern+Ireland&preview=1&t=495)
The item shown here can be seen in the Northern Ireland War Memorial Building in Belfast. (PLEASE DO NOT COPY MY PHOTOGRAPH)
Shown above are a couple of Cartoons whilst below are larger cartoons which had been painted within buildings which have now been demolished.
They were painted by 325th Service Group of the 8th Air Force in 1944 and photographed by Ernie Cromie in the 1980's (Thanks very much to Will Lindsay)
"ETO" Refers to European Theatre of Operations.